Just got a penn 209

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Nov 19, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just got a penn 209 on a 12 ft rod in trade...I am not a penn fan, I love my abu's.

I can cast my abus 80yds to reach the holes I need to hit.

I just cant see this penn being able to do that?

2. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have had a 209 for over 20 years and it has never failed me, not even once. I'm not big on casting distance but if you are after really big fish and need a brute of a reel to stop and subdue it, I don't think you will be disappointed in your 209. I don't think an Abu can match it, regardless of model. Just my opinion. Tight lines.

:cool2:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Jack, I would not judge too quickly. Give it a few trips and let us know what you think of it. With a 12 foot rod, you should be able to cast all the way across the Scioto river!!!

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good boat reels, horrible for bank fishing. i owned 2 before i bought my first Abu's. gave them away shortly after that.

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like the penn's more than the Abu's because I can lock my drag down when I fish alot of structure. After I get the fish away from the structure I loosen my drag a little. I have 2 Penn Surfmaster 200's I use from the bank and I can sling them pretty far. Are you using braid or mono?

6. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jack, from what I know of you, you will be throwing that penn away in mid to late may. :wink: I call first dibs. :big_smile:

7. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I also have a 209 and even before i owned an abu i was not impressed with the way the 209 casted.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I threw it away this morning, I could tell it was not a good casting reel...But it came with a 12ft rod I can use.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wish I had got the 209 instead of my 309. Either one of these reels will land any fish that swims in fresh water. I dont have to make that far of a cast...so it works great for my style of fishing.:big_smile:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know the penns are good strong reels that will land big fish...But I am talking casting distance, and it seems the penns are more of a trolling , boat type reel.....Now if it casted as far and as smooth as my 6500's I would have kept it.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    That's about my luck day late or a dollar short :sad2:. I was thinking we could work up a trade some sinkers for the reel:sad2: OH WeLL!!!!

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I still got the reel, the trash can in my bedroom aint been emptied yet...The reel looks like it is in almost new condition, only one very slight problem..The handle has a slight bend in it, it could be straghtend out very easy.

13. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For some sinkers i'll throw my 209 in too!! :wink:

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Get in there and dig it out we'll get together some day surly. May be spring with the weather getting colder who knows.

15. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Roger, for the love of god man, make some sinkers:smile2::smile2:

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey i'm willing to give away that 209 for some to give to you. Or would you rather have my 209 to keep yours company in that trashcan??? :smile2:

17. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I had already promised Jack some sinkers more or less it just the miles between us that has kept us apart this long. Just figured that would be a good way to keep him from throwing away a good piece of fishing gear.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well if your reel is a male, and mine is a female, maybe they could mate and there off spring would be an abu garcia!

19. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yea but might be brother n sister and thats incest so they might make retarded zebcos:smile2::smile2:

20. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mine is an older 209, it's probably sterile. :smile2: