Just got a boat lookin for good catfish spots at Warsaw

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by trashman, Nov 20, 2006.

1. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    i have fished warsaw off the bank allot but now i got a boat and don't know any spots any help would be great

2. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    I have lived near and fished the Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks area for 32 years. Tell us what kind of boat do you have, plus the motor size, tell us a little about your fishing equipment and your level of expertise, then we will know what types of areas to recommend. There are plenty of us who know these waters well, both before Truman was filled and afterwards.

3. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    my boat is a 1962 fiberglass Vbottom 15ft with a 33hp evinrude ski twin.and a hummingbird sonar ya its old but i think its pretty cool.I have just about every kind of pole u could think of but for cats i use an 8ft rod and and a cat buster open face reel.o and i'm the trash man so if any body needs a pole i got a bunch people throw out the darndest things.Thanks for the help

4. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Trashman, around kk Island, They do alot, of drift fishing, on the lower end,
    OF Truman. Also alot of people, fish below the dam, down into the lake of the Ozarks.
    I mainly fish the upper end of Truman Osceola, to Taberville. This is some what different fishing, someone will jump in, That fish the lower end. and give you some direction to go.
    Y

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    your boat fine, it, will haul, a big cat in, as good as any. boats dont catch fish,
    good Bait, location, location, and time,spent,fishing. alot of knowledge here on BOC.
    Talk to you later
    Jim

6. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I fish out of a 24ft SeaArk with cabin. I love drift fishing but you have to be versitle to consistantly catch large Blues. I believe most Blues are somewhat nomadic and inclined to stay near large schools of bait fish. I will fish anywhere the Blues are.

Until you get out of your comfort zone and have some success you won't have the mental toughness to do what is needed in tough conditions. Most fisherman do what they do, over and over again and wonder why they don't get better. Some of them are good at doing what they do and I'm not knocking them but what if they aren't biting using that particualar method? Thats what seperates the top catmen from the rest of us.

I have fished with what I consider to be two of the finest catmen in the country, Jeff Williams and Chris Harris. They have a system but it isn't keep doing the same thing and hope it works. I strive to get better each year and try to understand the habits of the fish and not just toss the net and get some hooks baited. There is no substitute for time on the water(the best research is your own). I have developed some theorys on Bluecats that work for me and I will continue to refine them and my methods.

I love this website! It is the best resource for a catman today. Just ask and you shall receive. See ya on the water!

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Between Diodeman, Primitivefrn and Bigmagic I would say they have more knowledge of Truman and LOZ as anyone on the lake.
    You can't go wrong with any info. those guys have.
    Good luck with the new boat. Get a cast net and find the shad and then comes the hard part. Like Ron said you will need to learn several patterns to be consistantly sucessful. Drifting, fishing holes channel ledges, current breaks and the list goes on. Headed out tomorrow and sat. to get some more education myself. Hope to see you out there. Good Luck....

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Well looky who's back! How the heck have you been Ron? Good to see you back on. Hope to get down sometime and go fishing with you again.

9. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    thanks for the help.how is the winter fishing below the damm

10. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Well I really wasn't gone(I know I haven't posted in a while). I had some medical things I had to do. I am planning on going out this week before the real COLD weather hits and giving it a go. I will be out fishing most good days between now and Christmas and then I'll shut it down untill the last two weeks in Feb. Hopefully this year we'll have some water early and often.
    I have to get my net tosser(son-n-law) out of deer hunting mode and back in catfishing mode. That big net wears me out and he throws it soooooo...Good. Hope ya'll have success and I'll see ya on the water!

11. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    My boat is not fancy, it is an aluminum v-bottom I found on the bottom of Truman Lake at G14 in 28 feet of water, scuba'd down and roped it out, and repaired the softball sized hole in the bottom. I have had alot of people laugh at my little boat but the local conservation agents and water patrolman never laugh because they always want to see what my nightime attacks on the big predators results in. I hardly ever go out catfishing before mid-night and am usually home by 4AM. I have yet to hear one of the 40lb+ blues or 50lb+ flatheads complain about being embarrased by being dragged into or along side of my little boat, hell my boat is so small it would probably fit in the covered cabin of Big Magic's large watercraft which I see cruising on the Osage in front of my cabin which sits near the shore, never feel bad about your equipment.

Now...advice, look up my past posts. Forget it, I do not guide and fish or hunt or cave alone. I have lived on the Osage river at the 82 mile marker below T-Dam since 1978 and only come home for grub, resupply and to remind my wife that I am quasi-normal. I spend more time on the river, on Truman Lake or Lake of the Ozarks and in the woods than I do at home. I hunt and fish plus I am also an active cave explorer and know all 32 decent sized caves in Benton county intimately. I am sociable so if we meet on the water at 3AM I will introduce myself.

By the way, all you wild boar hunters that are chasing Russian and Eurasian boars around Benton County, try coming eyeball to eyeball with several of those large nasty sombitches in a low ceilinged narrow cave cause that is where they hide around here when it gets cold, you would be surprised at how fast you can crawl or climb when you met up with those beasties and they run you up a side wall in a cave and keep you there for a few hours while they try to figure out how to get to you and all you have is a large knife to fight with. The boars are meaner and faster than I am. It makes fighting a 50lb+ flathead at 3AM from my small boat seem like a picnic. I've had to wait for them to get bored and leave me alone, throwing rocks at them and p***ing on them just riles em' up.

It is currently 2:53 on Tuesday afternoon 11/28 and I just came in off the Osage river after catching my limit of hybrid bass, all in the 5lb. range, but most importantly I caught lots of bluegills for this afternoons blue catfishing because this time of the year the cats frequent the 4 to 8 foot shallows chasing the bluegills and shad and all they will hit are live baits. The weather will turn nasty the next few days and the catfishing will be poor, but once the sun comes out the afternoon waters are warmed and full of bait fish and the catfish are after them, remember that bluecats do not mind colder waters and they are still active right now.

Look up my past posts and write if you need, I do come home periodically to kiss my wife and fondle my computer.

diodeman@iland.net

12. trashman

trashman New Member

State:
    buffalo
    thanks diodeman u will see me in the middle of the nite i am shure.thanks for the boat info me and my son have had a lot of fun bringing that 200doller wonder back to life hope ti fish with u some time