Just got a ambassadeur 5500?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kycatman01, Jul 27, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i just got a older model 5500. will it handle a decent sized fish(20 - 30 lb)? i was thinking of spooling it with 25 lb big game. will that be alright for the reel?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I don't think you'll have any problems with it.I have a buddy that has one and he loves it.

3. LittleRiverBigFish

LittleRiverBigFish New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago, factory re-certified through Fisherman's Factory Outlet for $21. I've got it spooled with 20lb. Big Game and so far haven't gotten anything bigger than 5 lbs. but so far I love the reel. Seems to me that 20lb is the max the spool is rated for, but I could be mistaken.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That should work for you just fine. It won't hold tons of line, but it's a tough reel.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

that 5500 is a good reel and should handle the fish you mentioned.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    There is a trade off on line. If you put a heavy line (large diameter) your restricted on the amount the reel will handle. If you put a light line (small diameter) your reel will hold more line. You have to establish the point as to where the trade-off is at. If your fishing logs/boulders, you may want the 25 lb test line. If your fishing normal waters, you probably would want to go with 14 to 17 lb test line. Everybody has an opinion as to what to use, I'd say, and it is just MY opinion, that if you know how to play the fish and set drag right, you shouldn't need go over 20 lbs. But, that is just me... you need to tailor your outfit for your conditions.

7. Jordan

Jordan New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have had a 5500 for a year or so and have been happy with it. Mine is spooled with 14# power pro and I use it for bass, catfish, and sometimes carp.
    With the line if your going to use heavier line but still want alot of line on the reel you might want to try braided.

8. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have fished 5500's since they first came out, mainly for bass back then. I switched to the 4600, because I really didn't need the line that the 5500 will hold for my type of bass fishing. The 4600 is lighter, and far less tiring to cast all day. I use my 5500's when I take my son, or wife fishing. I have a couple of 6500's one with braided 80# test, another with 50# test mono for fishing log jams, and tree tops for big flatheads. I have found the 5500's to be very dependable day in, and out. They are well built tough reels. The biggest liability is spool size, when you go to heavy lines, also there is no bait clicker if you want one, but they will work. Good fishin', Jack.

9. shotdemducks

shotdemducks New Member

State:
    kansas
    i think you would be alright I use nothing heavier than 20lb cajun line myself, just gotta let'em play a little and thats the best part to me.