Just got a 4 month supply of shad from the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by rodenberg, Sep 27, 2007.

1. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    just got home from nettin shad on the river. I brought home enough for a good supply for winter. they was all schooled up in a small creek. I only made about 15 throws with the net and filled 40 bucks worth of vacume bags.

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    That works out real well. What size are they?

3. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    the majority of them was in the 5 to 6 inch range but about 50 or so where in the 8 to 10 range

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I remember netting zillions of shad in the river just about this time last year - I caught enough in one throw to half-fill a 5 gallon bucket...

Just keep in mind that the daily limit is 150... :wink:

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Dang, I didnt know that. Thanks Marty. Note to self, bring a pen and pad in boat if Marty ever tags along so I can log all my 'infractions' and have them rectified. :smile2::smile2::smile2: There is so many rules out there. Maybe I need to peruse "the code" another time or two. :eek:oooh:

6. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dont worry Cuz.. I wont tell. Your probably not supposed to stand up when driving either. LOL

7. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This time of year is the best time to load up on shad I have also noticed...also, I think this time of year is when the blues start to hit pretty good on Shad...that is from my past experience! I am going to go out and load the boat full of them stinkin things here pretty quick myself...I know Im not going to start throwing them back after I get 150 either!

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    How do these hold up after being frozen?

Do they turn Mushy?

Vacuum pack them I assume?

I got into a whole bunch of GIANT shad yesterday, biggest I have ever seen. :eek:oooh:

Guess I should have loaded up. I didn't think about bait becoming hard to find in winter.

But the only Blue Cat I caught was on an asian fillet.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I only point this stuff out because (a) I've read the regulations thoroughly from one end to the other (exciting reading, by the way) and have a good memory for things, and (b) I'd hate for any of you to get a ticket for doing something you had no idea was against the rules... As they say, ignorance of the law is no excuse!

I fully understand that the odds of getting stopped by the MDC out on the Missouri River are between slim and none, but it could sure put a damper on an otherwise good fishing trip...

Do you guys ever see the MDC or the Illinois equivalent out on the Mississippi? I'd think they'd be a little more visible there than than on the remote stretches of river around these parts...

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    They've always turned to mush any time I've tried to use them, which was enough to make me stop using them. I didn't vacuum pack them, but I've read here that even if you do, they still turn to goo as soon as they hit room temperature.

Shad was easier for me to find last winter on the Missouri than it was during the summer. They tended to gather in the slack water behind wing dykes where the sun warmed the water. But the water was so low on the Missouri last winter that there were only a few places they could have been...

Make up your mind now that you'll spend whatever time it takes to find the fresh bait you need, when you need it, and I can almost guarantee you'll have more fishing success this winter. To me, it's about your mindset - go out there with the expectation that you're *going* to find shad and you will.

11. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In my past experience the smaller ones get mussy, but the bigger ones are alright if you Vacume seal them! I have caught alot of Blues on frozen shad.

12. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I vacume pack mine with no mush problems at all. 2 month's is about the longest I have ever kept any though. they do tend to loose some of the slime and bleed alittle less. I am going to try some trapping this year. I never new we had a limmit on shad. I did happen to count them as I was putting them in the cooler. I only had 148 :big_smile:

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Good answer!:smile2:

14. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We used to take frozen baitfish with us all the time out on tour for a back up incase we couldnÂ’t find any. You can never have too much bait when you are in a tournament! It all starts with the way you first catch them. Put a layer of ice on the bottom of a five gallon bucket. Drop the shad for example here directly from your net into the bucket. Every three inches of shad, add more ice into the bucket. You want to cool them down to freezing level as fast as you can.

Normally, we will bag them out on the water and put them in a cooler full of ice. Just bag them up using quart freezer bags half full. Drain off as much of the water as you can and put into the other cooler under in the ice. This cooler, you want to keep the water drained off even though they are in the freezer bags. The more water you have in the cooler, the slimier they will get. When you get home, put in your deep freeze.

When you go back out fishing. Take two bait coolers with you. Transfer one bag at a time to the secondary smaller bait cooler. Pull out as much as you will need for the next 15 minutes as you cut them still half frozen and put on the hook. Granted, you are throwing half frozen bait at first, but will warm up in about 2 or 3 minutes after hitting the water. It is a matter of frozen bait management as you will know how much bait you are going through after the first bag is gone. You do the same thing with shrimp also. Just pull out as much as you think you will need to start unfreezing.

You know when you will be changing your bait which is about every 15 to 20 minutes. So if you want them unfrozen, just plan on taking them out depending on the air temp to accommodate what you will need for your poles when cycling them with the new bait.

Vince Copple
    TeamWhiskers

15. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    Vince,
    thats is exactly how I do it. ice shad ice shad and more ice. I take a dc to ac converter and bag them on the boat. I do kinda sort them and mark the bags by size

16. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Jessie Thats the better way to do it..

We would normally get enough for 5 tournaments or 3 months at a time so they wouldnt get freezer burned. I always got stuck being the ice man and driver to put them right on the spot as my partners knew the lake and river area in IL better than I did. Probably why I still cant throw a net all that well.

17. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri

150 per person or boat with 2 partners? anything about the different species to have both shad and skipjacks or creek chubs?

18. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Shad are schooling everywhere on the Ohio River and Salt River in KY. One throw of the cast net landed enough shad to fill 30 bags last night after fishing. There were so many shad I could not lift the cast net out of the water and had to let some out. These were mainly 4 1/2 to 5" long. I have been freezing mine in small freezer bags and placing in the freezer. Have used them, not mushy and the cats seem to like them.

Linda

BE SAFE

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    You mean you actually vacuum seal them on the boat?

Now thats FRESH MEAT!:0a24:

20. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    I found this in the wildlife code on the mdc website. It was a mofo to find.

Daily Limit: In the aggregate, One Hundred fifty (150) crayfish, fresh water shrimp, and those species of fish not defined as game in 3 CSR 10-20.805; and five (5) each oof the following amphibians: southren leopard frogs, plains leopard frogs, and cicket frogs. Bighead carp and silver carp may be taken an possed in any number.