Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been catfishing all my life but only from the shore. i just turned 17 and my dad is finally letting me take the boat out on my own. i was wondering if you guys could help me where to fish on the lake, and also im gonna buy a big cat reel. what reel would you guys prefer. thanks

Anthony

·
Registered
855 Posts
I haven't fished many lakes in west texas for cats but the channels should be in the weeds and rocks on most of the lakes except for far south. I would focus on this kind of structure in 2 to 4 ft of water. There are a lot of really good baitcast reels out there. If you are looking for line capacity at a very good price I would go with a Shakespeare Tidewater or Penn 209. Abu has some great reels also, a 6500 doesnt hold as much line but it will handle any catfish we have in Texas. An Abu 7000 holds more line and has lower gears than the 6500, both are very smooth and great reels. There are many others out there but these are the ones I have experience with and have caught many blues well over 50 and some over 60 on all of them.

·
Registered
855 Posts
thanks i appreciate it. this is all great info. are all of the big fish headed out now or would they be in she shallower water about now?
Big blues here are spawning now which makes them extremely hard to catch, I would think the flats should be on the move but I don't have a lot of experience with the flatheads. Right now here it is a channel cat game,2 to 5 pounders, limits in a few hours. I will start chasing big fish again in June.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
if you want some big flats use live baits and fish shallow points near drop offs in rocks and or timber if you can find a good creek mouth that flows into the lake that would be a good place to start and catch good sized fish

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think i know some places in a lake about 20 miles away. this lake has been known for huge cats and unfortunately it is dryin up pretty fast. its only 5% full so all of those fish must be bunched up together or something. is about 4 feet of water good enough by some grasses that poke out of the top of the water?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.