Just for Texans

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Coloman, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Nobody asked for them, but here are some little known Texas facts:

Beaumont to El Paso: 742 miles
    Beaumont to Chicago: 770 miles

El Paso is closer to California than to Dallas

World's first rodeo was in Pecos... July 4, 1883.

The Flagship Hotel in Galveston is the only hotel in North America built over water.

The Heisman Trophy was named after John William Heisman who was the first full time coach for Rice University in Houston.

Brazoria County has more species of birds than any other area in North America.

Aransas Wildlife Refuge is the winter home of North America's only remaining flock of whooping cranes.

Jalapeno jelly originated in Lake Jackson in 1978.

The worst natural disaster in U.S. history was in 1900 caused by a hurricane in which over 8000 lives were lost on Galveston Island.

The first word spoken from the moon, July 20, 1969, was "Houston.."
    <Bragging Rights!> The King Ranch is larger than Rhode Island.

Tropical Storm Claudette brought a U.S. rainfall record of 43" in 24 hours in and around Alvin in July 1979.

Texas is the only state to enter the U.S. by TREATY, instead of by annexation. (This allows the Texas flag to fly at the same height as the US flag.)

A Live Oak tree near Fulton is estimated to be 1500 years old.

Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.

Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. There is no period after Dr in Dr Pepper.

Texas has had six capital cities:.
    1. Washington-on-the-Brazos
    2. Harrisburg
    3. Galveston
    4. Velasco
    5. West Columbia
    6. Austin

The Capitol Dome in Austin is the only dome in the U.S. which is taller than the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (by 7 feet).

The name Texas comes from the Hasini Indian word "tejas" meaning friends.

Tejas is not Spanish for Texas.

The State animal is the Armadillo. (An interesting bit of trivia about the armadillo is they always have four babies! They have one egg which splits Into four and they either have four males or four females. (Well... I thought it was interesting anyway!)

The first domed stadium in the U.S. was the Astrodome in Houston.

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS - TEXAS STYLE

People here in Texas have trouble with all those shalls and shall nots in the Ten Commandments. Folks here just aren't used to talking in those terms. So, some folks out in west Texas got together and translated the "King James" version into "King Ranch" version: Ten Commandments, cowboy style. Cowboy's Ten Commandments posted on the wall at Cross Trails Church in Fairlie, Texas.

(1) Just one God.
    (2) Honor yer Ma &Pa.
    (3) No telling tales or gossipin'.
    (4) Git yourself to Sunday meeting.
    (5) Put nothin' before God.
    (6) No foolin' around with another fellow's gal.
    (7) No killin'.
    (8) Watch yer mouth.
    (9) Do n't take what ain't yers.
    (10) Don't be hankerin' for yer buddy's stuff.

That's kinda plain 'n simple don't ya think?
    Y'all have A NICE Day NOW, Ya Hear?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    May God litter your life with blessings!

2. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

That's a good one Bill!I also like and believe in those 10 Cowboy Commandments.Could get in trouble,if you broke a couple of them!:p
    Ernie

3. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Your a man after my own heart! Especially liked the Ten Commandments!:)
    Frank

4. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

God blessed the Great State of Texas and then I came along... Born in Beaumont

5. edward361

edward361 New Member

State:
    Shiner Tex
    Way to go Bill That was good
    GOD BLESS TEXAS

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    That was good Bill ! Thanks...

7. Aquacat

Aquacat New Member

State:
    Sherman, Texas
    nice soild information

8. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Great post.

Here are a few more to add to the list. The best State in the Union.

Texas boasts the nation's largest herd of whitetail deer.

Austin is considered the live music capital of the world. (This surprised me)

The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.

More land is farmed in Texas than in any other state.

9. Ted Nugent

Ted Nugent New Member

State:
    Texas
    Love Texas, Still Pissed At My Parents For Not Driving The 15 Miles To Texas So I Would'nt Have To Have Been Born In Shreveport:)

Grew Up In Dallas, Company Moved Me To New Orleans And Could'nt Wait To Move Back To Texas....Even If It Was Houston, Ended Up Really Liking Houston And Fishing The Coast, Moved Back To Dallas For The Company, Then after 23 Years Company Merged And Got "The Package" The Day i Signed A Mortgage.........But I'm Still In Texas!!!!

10. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    this is a great place to live and play

11. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    It is great a little farther west also.
    jim

12. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just for Texans huh? Now bein who I am ya know I just had to post somethin here. I can say I know of one good thing comein from Texas. ZZTOP! LOL!

13. Catfish_addiction

Catfish_addiction New Member

State:
    Texas
    has four babies with one egg...WOW I wouldn't love anywhere else but TEXAS....Michael

14. andi1950

andi1950 New Member

State:
    Belton, Texas
    Like the "Commandments" - Can't remember how many times I have heard that one about "watch yer mouth" from my mom and dad.

15. catnip

catnip New Member

State:
    texas
    I love this state , and this site. Can't seem to get enough of either. The info posted is very helpful. I would like to find anyone with fishing tips for Calaveras Lake and likewise if I can help any members with info about my areas please ask. I have been fishing Calaveras Lake for about 20 years, seriously about 10. I have caught blues, channel, yellow, redfish, stripper,bass, tilapia, perch(3 kinds),armored cat. Haven't caught the gar,carp and I heard there might still be corvina. This is a wonderful lake to fish better if you have a boat. Long live the B.O.C.

16. Austen

Austen New Member

State:
    texas
    i like the ten commandments. Texas is the place to be.

17. OUTLAW

OUTLAW New Member

State:
    texas
    Just to add, Galveston County was/is the county of the Nations worst man made disaster as well with the Texas City explosion. I'm not sure if anything has topped that or not. It's kinda odd that a county like ours has the worst natural and man made distasters for the nation.