Just for Kicks ... New Totals ...

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by RetiredToFish, Dec 14, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    This had been a good week trapping, but not because I have caught a lot. I the past weeks, I have lost a muskrat with only a foot in the trap, lost a coon with a foot in the trap and lost mink with a bunch of fur in the trap. Well, this week I recaught and kept all 3 critters. This makes me happy because I hate to cripple anything and leave it for easy prey.

Totals to date:

Coons: 29

Muskrats: 38

Mink: 6

Opossums: 2

Not too bad for a physically impaired "Old Man" ... But catching is the easy part ... If you have never tried fleshing a coon .... you are in for a real treat .... back breaking for me ..... Garry-

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats on having a great season,Garry. you got that right about fleshing coon,Bad part is ,there is a fine line between fleshed,and ruined. It doesnt take much overfleshing to expose the hair roots.

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You've got that right !!! I have tendon problems in both hands and thumbs and a lower back problem to boot .... I started this year using a draw knife which I have always used .... and have since purchased a regular fleshing knife ... it helps some, but my God ... I whoops me to do 3 or 4 coon .... I skinned 3 of them and a rat this afternoon and I didn't have the strenth to even think about fleshing on them .... This is not one of the finer points of getting old ...... :wink::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::angry: Garry-

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    2 of the 3 guys I sell to don't want fleshed coon.
    Apparently there is a machine that does the fleshing.
    I saw where there was one for sale for $500. Probably not a bad investment if you catch numbers of coon.

Hey Garry have you tried a skinning machine? Supposed to be easier on the back.

Things have shut down here at least for me. I haven't caught a thing for a week. Pulled a half dozen mink traps that just sat there for a week. Right now its 18 and sleeting after being 58 this afternoon. I'll probablyt try some local yotes but I think I'll let everything else go to seed.
    have a good one
    just

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    No Haven't tried skinning machine don't really have a place for anything like that at the present .... I would like to see what a fleshing machine looked like .... and how they worked .... If a guy had one of those he could flesh for others and ear a few bucks .... :wink: ... Garry-

6. fishingva93

fishingva93 New Member

State:
    virginia
    congrats

7. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    Check out the pictures in my thread over at Trapperman titled fur flesher.

FWIW the one I mentioned here is sold.

have a good one
    just

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Garry, congrats brother, sounds like a nice trap line you got going

9. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Had a good day as trapping days go ... got 2 mink, 2 rats and a coon ...

Totals to date:

Coons: 30
    Muskrats: 40
    Mink: 8
    Opossums: 3

As of today ..... Garry-

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Hey Garry - Congrats on the catch! and also got a question for ya - How do you set for your mink? I try to make a hole in the bank just above the water line and put a foot trap just below the hole and bait it with fresh fish. My total to date is absolutely zero. And I have seen mink there, I swear! LOL Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated!

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Brian .... I am going to give you the short answer right now and maybe tonight will have time to give a detailed answered .... the big secret in my part of the country is TIME .... I had one set that didn't produce anything for 3 1/2 weeks and now have caught 2 mink in 2 weeks .... More later ... Garry-

12. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    im runnin round like crazy this lay off season with the kids games and all the seasons open but id like to get in on this total deal...

9 coon
    4 deer
    2 turkey
    1 fox
    1 skunk
    and 1 opossum.

no i didnt get the deer and turkey in traps... this is also the total of the 9 day rifle season.. now that the games are over i can set the trap line back out. but i dont think i can handle another week like that.

imm not a big trapper i do it pretty much to keep me busy thru lay off. i only have alittle line of 10 traps. and im still learning... one thing i really want to learn is fox coyote and bobcat trapping... oh yea i got a dozen snares last week... not a clue where the "sweet spot is" but have an "idea" where to put them... but would love some tips and info on anything and everything guys... thanks and good luck on those lines :big_smile:

13. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    What??!! no rats or mink?

Coon are probably holed up what with this weather.
    Check out the instructions over at trapperman.com. You also might try trapsforkids.com . I know it says kids but aren't we all kids? Pretty good instructions on both sites.
    Other than that find a trail and set snares where you think a critter will put his head. btw most of my 30 coon were snared.

I generally recommend going to your public library and checking out trapping books but the internet has lots of good sites.
    Also check out and join your local trappers organization.
    the best 2ya
    just

14. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    as for the mink and rat.. i havent ever gone after them i only have one little trap that i would think would work for them.. i have 7 1-1/2 and 3 1-3/4 and with the prices being so low right now dont know if the rats would pay enough to buy the traps .. althought i got 7 rat dens out in that marsh. and wouldnt have the first clue on how to go after them thru the ice.

the mink same trap problem... im sure there probably out there with the 3 creeks i have to trap and the 2 marshes but dont know what to look for to go after them either..

but now that you have given me some sites to check out im sure i will have better luck with some knowledge i dint have before .. besides i got the master trappers on here to help me out and i need all the help i can get.

thank you :big_smile:

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sounds like a great year. I have never been trapping and I think that it would be a good time. What does it take to start?

16. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    depends on what your goin after.. i mainly go for coon.. so some crawfish bait or fried food works great as bait.. then agian they have a sweet tooth so marshmellows or jet puff marshmellow cream i like using that it sticks and makes them work your set longer. as for traps #1 1/2 or 1 3/4 work good for coon and the 1 3/4s will double for coyotes too.

go with cable stakes~!! thier really cheap and they say they are disposable im cheaper then that i reuse them but it can be a bear to get them out sometimes.

snares are cheap too... i just dont catch anything with them the spot must be too sweet for me cuz i cant find it:confused2:

good luck this year its a great time checking trap lines my kids love goin along

17. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    1 1/2s will work just fine for both rats and mink.
    Blind set them at the den entrances.
    You'll catch both rats and mink there.
    good luck
    just

18. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I am a whole lot old fashion and think that if a person ... (No matter what age) is just starting to trap they should start with muskrats. The reason behind this is ... I believe you should learn to first catch them, then skin, flesh and properly stretch them. Not catch them and sell them whole.

Although coon are relatively easy to catch, they are one of the most difficult to take care of once you have caught them. Please don't let the talk of BIG BUCKS for them (It isn't true) lure you into starting with them.
    Treat the sport or hobby right and it will treat you right.

We that pursure it for the joy of doing it are trying to save the experience for those that come after us. This is something from the past and a heritage to cherish ....

And to answer you question .... it can be a good time, but it becomes a way of life. Run traps 4 or 5 hours a day .... skin, flesh and stretch 4 or 5 hours a day .... It can be a good time, but can get expensive too.

If you desire is to start ... take my advise and start with rats ... least expensive, easy to handle and lets you build confidence in the way of doing things ...... Garry-

19. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Garry , i agree with you completely about most everything you said... it is a good time and can become a way of life for some... i do it as a hobby to keep me goin thru lay off. my dad has been completely outdoors for ever ... anyway he did as you said and cant believe i dont skin and stretch them myself.. heres why tho... on average you will only get a dollar some times 2 if you find the right buyer if you do it yourself. it just isnt worth taking the time and spending the money on the supplies to skin and stretch yourself any more.:confused2: not to mention it pleases the wife the garage isnt full of hangin varmits and the garbage man of the rank trashcans .. its not about the money or i wouldnt be out this year i enjoy it good luck to all~!!:big_smile:

20. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great info guys! Is there a book or video that is the "bible" of trapping that would be good to get to start?