Just fished the local river

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Ellis, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Just got back from fishing the local river, caught 2 small mouth bass, which is pretty good for how bad fishign is in my town. I was using different lures and worms

2. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    "Brotherhood of CATFISHerman" Bass are bait to me

3. 1-flathunter

1-flathunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Fishing is only as bad as the fisherman.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Ellis I thought you were gonna stay out til 3am...You msut have given up early...di the heat get to you?

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Ellis, if your fishing the Upper Little Miami, there are no channels that far up north, you have to get down near Bellbrook before you start to see any channels. Same witht he Upper Mad river, water is too cold, so stick to CJ Brown and buck creek for channels!

Salmonid

6. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have to agree with that one!

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Ellis there are plenty of channels up in the Yellow springs/Clifton area..I have been fishing the Little Miami for 20 years, and i have caught channels up to 10 pounds...They arent in the river in real real high numbers, but they are definantly there....Use cutbait..Cut sucker, shiners or cut blugills..You will hook up with some cats sooner or later if you stick with cut bait!!

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Matt, I am glad to hear you have caught some up there but in 20 years of fishing the LMR around Grinnell Rd down to Bellbrook, I have never seen or heard of any channels caught but I always assumed a few were around. Now I have over the years taken many crappies, perch, Grass Pike and even drum but never even a yellow belly up in those parts, now I must admit that was mostly in the 80' and early 90's I fished there so maybe they have picked up in that time. I always assumed the upper lMR was too cold for a good supply of them since there is a strong spring fed area up there, I have also taken several rainbows and brown trout even and way back when, many baby coho salmon the state used to raise in Oldtown and dump in the rivers when they drained there ponds at the district 5 hatchery.

Hey, Im sending you a PM now on another subject,
    Thanks Salmonid

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Yeah there are definantly some channels in there, I fish mainly the strect of river that runs down South River road, and down clifton road..On south River Road there is a park, called South River Road Canoe Launch, and I have caught them there, caught them right behind my house ,and on down South River Road, there is an old man whose house sits right on a bend in the river, It is about 10 feet deep behind his house, he lets me fish in his back yard, I have caught some real nice channels there..My best night was 5 in about 4 hours..But I fish real lite tackle back there, so it makes it alot funner..I use 5'6 mebium action abu garcia pole, and an abu garcia Black Max bass reel, with 8 pound line..The fight on that lite tackle is unbelieveable..Also some HUGE carp back there..I think the Little Miami is good fishing.

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hmm, ok so do you ever get any "below" the gorge? Since most of everything above the gorge is posted pretty heavily, Ive stayed off that stretch and do know they stock the park pond above the mill with channels so that may help produce some in your area.

I know a guy in about 86-87 who took back to back 20+" smallies (measured!)on 2 cast from up in that water up there, the next time we went, we got run out by the sheriff who also knew all about the big smallies in the hole we were fishing, go figure!!!

Salmonid

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on catching some fish!