Just finished a really good book

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by vini, Feb 23, 2007.

1. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    called " Bacon and Beans from a gold pan"

Nice thing about the books story is this couple who during the depression due to the lack of work decided to try and make it paning and sluicing for gold right up in the same town and area I will be dredging at this summer, they did make a living for 2 years up there on one particular creek. Then they went North into gold country for another several years I believe.

Great reading and a wonderful true story and I learned alot just reading, it was quite adventuress i'll be looking for more books on the subject we can get alot from those who have already experienced the hunt for GOLD:big_smile:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Vini, check with the "New 49'rs" website.

If your inerested, they've got some gold claims for sale that are good producers.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I saw that Bob aint that something MAN O MAN.

HEY I finally found my first piece of gold while panning, smaller then the tip of a match but it got me fired up.

I just bought a 7 Mil full wetsuit custom made for a guy whos as big as i am its XXXL came with boots, hooded vest, flippers underwater light some weights and other odds and end used 4 times he said i payed $250 for the whole thing.

Bob i'm going to need you to help me setup my air pump if you can?

Does it connect to the motor in some way? maybe give me a lead as to where i could get some info on how to set that up?

Thanks

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Do you already have the compressor?

6. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Not yet Bob not even sure what to get dont have alot to spend I was going to see what someone like Harbor Freight might have.

7. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    My dredge pump is on the side where the pulley for the air pump is at so i'm going to have to come up with something else? a separate air pump on its own? probably electric pump.

8. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    You can sorta see how its setup here Bob i'll get a better pic later on.

Attached Files:

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Put on a double pully, get a T-80 compressor, the proper air line and regulator. Lengthen your dredge platform and anchor the compressor to the opposite end.

Get a belt to fit and you'll be ready,

You can forget about harbor frieght. The compressor you need will have to be oilless.

Check out http://www.keeneeng.com/ or

http://www.akmining.com/ For what you'll need.

10. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Ok Bob I had a friend show me how this needs to be setup I didn't know I could put on a different pully to work the air compressor.

Did you make the safety air snorkel for you they have them already pretty cheap ?

i'll look into all of this thanks a bunch.

11. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Found the whole kit for $300 at prospectorstore.c online, pulley, belt, belt gaurd and mounting hardware that a good deal?

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's a lot of people in the gold dredging hobby, or small mining industry that can help you out more than I can.

Socalgold is one of them. He's on several internet sites and is a great guy. He's in Ca somewhere.

Check out the goldgrubbers site and others before you buy.

13. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Yeah these guys are local that i'm going to meet one lives right in the same town i'll be dredging in the other has dredged and panned alot up in the same creeks and rivers so hoping they'll be a big help, one of them has a 3" and 5" dredge so he probably knows his way around dredging.

I just ordered another book off Amazon " Gold mining in the 21st century"

Product Description
    This one book outlines EVERYTHING a beginner will need and want to know about getting started at gold mining today, either as a hobby or as a small-scale commercial activity. In easy to understand language, supported by clear photographs and graphic demonstrations, this book covers all of the important subjects-including what gold is and looks like, where it comes from and where to find it, how gold deposits and how to find and recover it, and also touches on the legal aspects of how to claim the gold for yourself. The book covers up-to-date mining procedures of panning gold, sluicing, dredging, high banking, drywashing, electronic probing, hardrock mining, basic refining techniques, cleaning procedures, selling gold, and much, much more. Herein lies the most comprehensive and thorough work on electronic prospecting techniques (locating gold with metal detectors) available in a publication on the market today. Virtually an encyclopedia of modern gold mining techniques, there is no other book available more up to date, more simple to understand, or which covers the entire subject as thoroughly as this manual.

14. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Socalgold posts on the board I post on, I believe he just donated some gold nuggets for an auction to raise money for a friends memorial sounds like good person

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That memorial fund is for Midwestdredger (Karl Readel), from ILL. I bought this wet suit from him. The day I got it, Karl had a heart attack, leaving behind a family with school aged children. He was 47 yrs old.

Socalgold will tell you straight and direct you to the right people.

16. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Welp I found a link from the CVP site and found a guy who sells propsecting gear not more then 2 miles from me and I went this afternoon and talked with the guy for an hour really nice guy he's got several dredges and claims up in the hills where I plan on prospecting for gold. i'm taking my dredge over to him this week and putting new hoses on and fixing a few things that went wrong this weekend.

I took the dredge out to a shallow creek but could not for the life of me get it to prime, just not enough water not enough depth to keep air out of the pump and get it primed which really stunk but oh well there were a few modifications I need to take care of, I even broke a couple of old bolts off of the frame so I have some work to do.

He had gold all over his shop Bob, he brings home gravel and runs it thru his blue bowl concentrator he had nuggets he showed me and fine placer gold in viles that were nearly full, he had a pan sitting up on a shelp with a bunch of ore and alot of gold off to the side of the pan, he had forgotten it was even there........:eek:oooh:

So i'm going to a meeting next week and should be meeting up with a bunch of local guys there and they have claims that members can go work on once they've joined the club, i'm also going to be taking my dredge out to a friends private property real close to me here this week I hope , theres been alot of gold found in the San Jauquin river and alot more to find its about 15 miles from where I live.

Sending money off this week to the guy i'm buying the T-80 from also:wink:

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It sounds like your on a roll, Vini.

The T-80 is a breeze to rebuild. I did mine last week after a reed broke.

18. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Little by little Bob, everyone just keep telling me don't get discouraged it takes time and meeting the right people and finding the right places hopefully afdter I join the CVP club i'll know and have alot more info.

Here in California there are SO MANY RULES AND RESTRICTIONS I got so mad yesterday I went to a spot not far from me and its CLOSED OFF they had a fence around the freaken river . I got out and talked with a guy who was doing road work and he told me for everyones safety they shut it down while there doing road work WHY CLOSE THE RIVER OFF I asked him its not even a foot deep, take it up with the city he said.........needless to say as I find myself doing this more and more wondering about the bigger picture just how much is government going to keep taking away, do we just sit and let them take our rights and land away I feel like a native Indian might have felt when all the land they lived on was ripped out from under them and they were told where to live.

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Get used to it. There's court battles over land use going on all around you. They're making it hell on a small scale miner. The gov wants control over everything and wants everyone else out of public lands.