Just don't get it!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by fisherman94580, Aug 6, 2007.

1. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish waters all the time known for big shovelheads, and blues. Such as the Ohio and Licking River and some lakes known for big fish. But i can never seem to catch them. I've tried baits anywhere from whole and cut shad, bluegill whole and cut, and chubs and shiners and a number of other baits. I fish sometimes on bottom, sometimes with a bobber and i've only landed 1 fish over 10 pounds. Is it crappy luck, or is it just me?

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    As I keep telling myself, it is 5% skill and 95% luck. And the luck is not on my side. You just have to put the time in and find the technique that works the best for the area you are fishing. Keep in mind that what worked in one spot may not in the other. Just keep trying one day it will pay off for you.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You just have to fish and also, you can have all the great bait in the world, but if the fish aren't there they aren't going to bite. In my opinion you just need to fish and pay attention to depths that you catch fish at. If you fish several different depths in one good spot you can sometimes quickly eliminate some depths and concentrate more baits at that "magic" depth. Keep fishin' and it'll happen for ya.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    One of the VERY best ways to find bigger fish is to talk with people that fish the same waters you are fishing. Over the past few years I've talked and became friends with alot of people that fish the rivers I fish. Alot of good spots get kept as a secret untill you become friends with the people that fish them. Next time you see someone pulling a boat out that looks like they been fishing, ask them if they've done any good. Ask people at the bait shop if they know any good spots.
    Another thing is,,,you have to fish to catch fish. Spend the whole weekend fishing and scouting out spots. Like said above fish can't bite if they aren't there to bite. Move around and find the fish, don't wait on them to find you.
    It sounds like you are using good bait and rigs. You might just need more time on the water. I fished for 12 hours straight last weekend and had one bite,,,,but it was a 27.5lb flatty.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    location, structure, location, structure. You seem to have the right bait and fishing big cat waters. Now, just got to pin point where they are at. Blues love deep water with current. Flatheads will hang out in deep holes with the most structure and dont want to travel far to feed on baitfish. The best locations for big flatheads are in dark cave-like structures, whether it be log jams,submerged timber or concrete slabs on the bottom. They will cruise the shallows after dark to feed. Below dams are a good place to start for Blues or where the main channel bends close to the bank creating a deep hole.

6. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    If your fishing the same spot all the time and not landing anything big, Try a different spot, That big one could be waiting for you

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i think its bad luck you picked up fishin that pay lake.

8. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks alot guys, I'll just keep fishing harder and trying different spots. It's gotta work our for me sooner or later.

9. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Your luck may change soon.Last year at Agusta Ky.I caught my personnel best at 39# flathead.Keep on looking for good spots.