just curious: who still uses their first rod and reel?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DELLIS, May 20, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Yes i know curiosity killed that dang pooty cat but just wondering if you remember your first rod and reel and if you still use it reason being as i was fishing today it occured to me the rod i use for blue gill is the first rod and reel combo my dad bought it for me i think it's at least 20 years ago it works great. so i was just wondering how many of you remember their first rod and reel and if they still use it this day when i have to retire mine it will be hard it was also the first and only rod and reel my dad bought for me i bet he is still smiling that was the only thing i was ever able to keep up with.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i am sure my first rod and reel was a gibsons discount store zebco 202.......the first pole my dad bought me was a canepole...went thru a lot of canepoles as a kid

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I never had a rod/reel combo as a kid. My grandad had a cane patch. He'd just cut you one down and say come on, let's go!

4. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    My first rod and reel was a J.C.higgens bait caster . received it for my 10th birthday. I still have the rod, the reel is long gone. The first fish I caught with it was a 5 # carp. I also caught my first flathead with it.

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    A few cane poles and more zebco close face reels. Around 8 years old graduated to open face spinning! I use to get a new one at the start of every vacation. Most wouldnt last more then one vacation, between getting closed in car door, stepped on or just junk gear! I was and am kinda of rough on gear! Ugly sticks are the best thing since sliced bread. I do have a fly rod with a ultralight spinning reel, I still use for use for crappie, perch and baitfish, that is older then many members on the board!

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    My first was a stick and sewing thread and I still have it. I'm going to hand it down to my oldest when I die. The second was a zebco 202 combo, I don't know what happend to it.:confused2:

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    my first was a zebco 77. nice little combo, cast great. first cast it went at least 100 ft and made a big splash!:embarassed: nope I don't have it but I know where it is/was:angry:

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I remember by first rod and reel it was a zebco 404 combo...It was "lost" on one of our moves.

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    For some reason that post brought back memories of the top half of the rod sliding down the line into the water and then getting snagged when trying to reel in, resulting in a lost top half! It happened way to many times! :embarassed:

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I really don't remember my first one but I have the rod and reel that my father used when I was a kid and he caught some very large cats with it.
    He bought back in 1958 and I use it some of the times but it does need some minor repairs on the reel. I can't remember what the brand name is at this time but it's still a good rod and reel.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Throw line was first till I ran across a cane pole patch. Than I was hi dollar, on top of the world, rolling in the good stuff. Bragging rights came with that hand cut cane pole. Course I had to use my kite string to make it all good.
    Those little money eaters at wal mart, snoopy pole etc. Last about 2 fish.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My first fishing pole was a cane pole cut on the creek down in the Blanco Canyon in West TX. My dad carried our fishing "gear" in his back pocket... line, hooks and weights.

I bought my first rod/reel in 1957, it was a Zebco 33. It's been retired many years ago but I still have it.
    Also still have the first landing net I bought at Gibson's Discount Store back in the early 70's, used it yesterday morning to bring in some crappie and a stripper.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have no idea what ever happened to my first rod and reel. I know I bought them at our Western-Auto store. Three foot green fiberglass rod and a small baitcaster. Of course like most of the oldies, canepoles were first.

14. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Here is my first spinning reel a Garcia Kingfisher. I bought it in 1973 at the Holiday gas station in Spooner WI. it has outlasted at least 6 rods. I have caught bluegills to 20lb. salmon with it. It works fine except the drag sticks a bit and I need to replace the screw that holds the handle on. I used it today for smaller cats not much biting .

GL all Ned

Attached Files:

15. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I still have an old fiberglass rod that has to be at least 40 years old. It is heavy compared to the rods of today. It has went thru lots of reels too. One of the middle eyes are missing but I used it up until last month when I retired it.

16. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    the first one i bought on my own was a shakespeare wonder rod and a heddon spinning reel. backin 1969. i still have it and can use it but i dont.

17. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have a fly rod that is 38 years old that I got when I was 15 and I still fish with a 209 Penn that I bought in 71 or so,the old rod didn't make it but that old reel is better than ever.

18. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    my first pole was a telescoping job from Kmart that day my grandfather took me too fish for trout in the river and catfish hunter broke that cheap thing into itty bitty pieces being 4 or 5 at the time the ground work was set in stone between me and catfish