Just couldn't eat drum fish

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kevinw, Feb 18, 2006.

1. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    Ive been reading the post about eating carp and thought that drum probably taste like carp or better so I tried it today. I pressure cooked it for 20 min but the bones were still hard. I removed all the bones and was going to make patties out of the drum. The smell was so bad my wife said it was making her sick. I got nausiated from the smell. I ended up tossing the whole batch. Man how does anyone eat that. Im hoping carp dosnt have as bad a smell as drum. Id like to try it next but the wife is going to be a tough one to convince.

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    HAHAHAHA kevin that is funny. I dont know why anyone would eat either one, I just dont think I could do it especially drum. I dont know if there is a good way to cook that or not I dont think so. Some people eat em and like em but I sure wouldnt be one of em.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    LOL, there may be a good way of cooking them but I will pass.
    Now carp is good if fixed correctly.

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    have you ever had striped bass? drum taste pretty much the same. just fillet them and deep fry them like any other fish. the small ones only though. the big ones are not very good.

5. kevinw

kevinw New Member

State:
    Burkburnett Texas
    Maybe that was the problem. Mine were about 10 lbs each. Smelled up the whole house. Cant air it out either because the outside temp is in the teens.

6. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    Ive never ate a drum.Or for that matter a guitar,flute,trumpet,or any other musical instrment.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    To me there a giant skipjack/drum about the same. very oily and not good table fare. Although I'm sure some guys may know of a way to make them edible.

8. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    The size probably was the problem, I fillet a small one , about 1 1/2 pounds and fried it up and it was pretty good. Hell I'll try anything once, well almost anything. lol

9. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    They do not taste bad.I fillet mine,and cook them in a turkey deep frier outside.Taste good and the smell stays outside :)

10. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Man those things come out of the water smelling like stink bait. I have heard they are good, but I think I will just deep fry some magic bait. Cant smell any different.

11. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Tried drum once, not for me. Sure there are ways to fix em, but with so many good eating fish, why?

12. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Just because my name on here is Drum Andersen doesn't mean I like to eat those stink'n things. My friends gave me that name when we went out one night and the only thing I caught was a pile of drum. Anyways I don't eat them I just take them cut'um up and us them for trapping bait.

13. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You can't beat the drum.

14. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    BAKED DRUM FISH SURPRISE

2 lbs. drum steaks
    1/2 c. French dressing
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 (32 oz.) can French fried onions
    1/4 c. parmesan cheese

Cut steaks into serving size. Place in shallow pan. Combine French dressing, lemon juice and salt. Pour over fish. Let stand 30 minutes, turning once. Add crushed onions and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Good with other types of fish as well.
    Serves 6 to 8.

15. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    Savory Baked Drum Fish

2 lbs. Black Drum fillets, or other fresh fish
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    Dash pepper
    6 slices bacon
    1 medium onion, thin sliced
    1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
    2 tabelspoons chopped parsley

Place fillets in a single layer in a greased baking dish, 12 x 8 inches. Sprinkle with lemon juice and pepper. Fry bacon until crisp, remove from fat and crumble. Cook onion rings in bacon fat until tender then arrange evenly over fillets. Combine bacon, bread crumbs, and parsely. Sprinkle mixture over fillets and onion. Bake in a moderate oven, 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until fillets flake easily when tested with a fork. Serves 6.

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Like others have said-stick with the smaller ones-under 5 pounds.Also,I won't eat them from warm water,only early spring.Don't really eat a whole lot of fish of any type,maybe once a month.

17. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    I dare anyone to take a drum fillet and a white bass fillet of the same size and tell me the difference............both taste and appearance!!

Of course I will also eat gar so ya might not want ta come to one of my fishfry's:p

18. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I've never eaten a Drum over 3# but up to that size they have always tasted good to me. I know that the flesh will go bad in warm weather if they aren't put immediately on ice or in a live well. The Missouri Department of Conservation once ran an article on Drum and how to correctly handle them. :)

19. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    here is a good one,( from an old fisherman ) you take a big filet put salt and peper and a little olive oil on both sides, set aside, next get your outdoor grill good and hot and place a thin piece of ceder wood ( like a shake ) place on the grill, then place the drum filet on the ceder cook about 5 mins. on both sides. Then throw away the drum and eat he shingle

20. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    drum is good,fillet and deep fry.It really is good