Just changed my trailer bearings, got a question.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by smhmc6, Feb 22, 2008.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guys, I just changed the bearings on my trailer. When I got the hubs and wheels back on, I tried to spin them and they didn't spin nearly as well as they did with the old bearings on. Now it was my first time ever for doing it, but I'm pretty sure I did them correctly. I don't think I tightened the castle nut too far. I snugged it up pretty good, then backed it off quite a bit. Even to the point that it was easy to turn with my fingers. Still it didn't seem like the hub was spinning freely. Is it just the new grease in there or what? I know it sounds stupid, but I just want to make sure I'm not going to ruin something the first time I hook it up and go out to the water.

2. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    When you changed the bearings, did you also replace the old races too ??
    If to you need to make sure the new races are all the way down, if you did not change the races, you really should.
    Other than that it sounds like you got it right. The new grease will make the hub turn a little more stiff.
    Hope this helps.
    :wink:

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks a lot, I really appreciate the response. I figured it was just the fresh thick grease... but I thought I would make sure before I forgot about it and ended messing something up.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I've done this a hundred times or more to my trailers. I believe you did good brother.

:wink::big_smile:

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    When you tightened the nut did you just snug it or make sure it was tight?
    You can conceivably hurt the new bearings by tightening it too tight.
    Also did you pack the bearings by hand?
    You said you backed the nut off quite a ways. Whats that mean? IMHO 1 turn is too much.
    Grab the top of the tire and when pushing-pulling it back and forth if it moves at the bearing it needs tightened.
    The tire should turn smoothly and will turn easier once the grease has repositioned.
    good luck
    just

6. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I tightened the castle nut I didn't put a ton of pressure on it. I put a little pressure on it just to make sure the hub was on all the way, then like I said I backed it off quite a bit. Then, I felt like the wheels weren't spinning very freely like they were before (they weren't unbalanced or wobbly or anything though they were just slow I felt), so i took the tire and tried to shake it pretty hard... didn't feel like there was any play in it like you were saying. Maybe I should just go and tighten it up again and back it off 1 turn. I agree more than 1 turn seems like a ton, and I know I went probably 1.5-2 turns.

7. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Did you change them because they were growling or just because you figured they needed changed. If they were growling the races should have been swaped out too along with the seals. The best money I've ever spent on boat trailers are Bearing Buddies. They even sell them at Wally Mart around here. Make sure you use marine grease too. It's way more resistant to getting dunked. I think anything more than 1/2 turn is way too much to back off. No expert here but I've been that idiot on the side of the road just one time with a boat trailer.

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Haha, yeah thats what I'm trying to avoid... being that idiot on the side of the road. To answer your question about why I changed them... I just thought it would be a good idea before I start taking it fishing again. When I pulled the old ones out they looked pretty good actually. I got the trailer last June or July brand new, since then I've probably put 1500-2000 miles on it. I am not sure how long you can let it go before changing them, but I just thought it was a good time to do it. I'm supposed to go out tomorrow for the first time to break in the new motor I got this week :roll_eyes: (as long as it doesn't rain, I can brave the snow or cold), but now I'm less confident in the new bearings than the old ones I had on. I'm going to go out right now and re-tighten that castle nut and make sure when I back it off not to go more than a turn.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks James, those sites really helped a lot. Very detailed instructions.

10. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    those sites need to be posted under promenent heading for people to see. I always thought that about bearing buddies and yet I keep right on pumping them. I love that grease all over my rims--not--don't--etc.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That second one with the pictures was decent. A picture is worth a thousand words.

12. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  13. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Steve those are the same type of bearings used in cars. They get over 100,000 miles out of them on a car. It's the dunking that causes them to go bad. But 1,500 miles you're being pretty cautious. Keep them greased and check the play and they should last as long as you have trailer. No such thing as being over cautious. Oh yeah and waterproof marine grease.

14. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks. Well I took it out yesterday to a lake 30 miles away... nothing blew up on me yet, haha. I think it will be ok. Thanks again for all the quick and helpful posts... I can always rely on you all to give good advice.

15. bowhunter6925

bowhunter6925 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Those are some of the best descriptions and pictures of changing bearings that I have seen in a while. A messy job, but it has to be done.