Just can't leave stuff alone...

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BKS72, Jan 21, 2009.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    After reworking the boat last winter and fishing out of it this summer, I decided I don't like the back storage area/deck I put in it. I'm in the process of tearing it out and making it just open deck back there. Haven't decided about the front one yet. Since I picked up an aluminum welding outfit and have access to affordable materials, the front one may get ripped out and re-built out of aluminum. Now I'm starting to understand why my wife hates to hear me say I'm bored....:wink:

Attached Files:

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Hum ! looks like a rebuild in order. You must have some ideas in mind.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    This one is going to be pretty simple. Going to floor the newly open space with aluminum and cut open the starboard side "box" that's full of foam and use it for storage. I put enough foam in her last winter that I'm not worried about pulling the foam out of the "box".

Course who knows what I'll really wind up doing once I start getting going on it:smile2:

Next winter the wood floor will probably come out and get re-done with AL, but that all depends on how bored I get next year:wink:

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You're certifiable.:wink:

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nothing like OPEN space. It's amazing how we make changes and adapt our boats to our fishin' styles. It's a never ending saga. A heap of fun doing it yourself too! Keep us updated on your progress!

Bill in SC

6. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Next winter the wood floor will probably come out and get re-done with AL, but that all depends on how bored I get next year:wink:[/quote]

Should of just bought mine last fall . :wink:

7. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    MIGHT? :smile2: :smile2: :smile2: :eek:oooh: Yea "MIGHT" :smile2: :smile2:

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I knew that was gonna happen.:smile2:
    Lookin forward to seeing what you come up with. I am sure it will be awesome.
    Ill help ya break it in this spring.:wink:

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

And miss all this fun?? I can't get rid of her now - I've redone the hull, rebuilt the powerhead, and overhauled the lower unit. I've turned every bolt on the thing, I'd cry if I had to start over with another one :smile2:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Branden good luck on your Cabin Fever Project. Nothing like the personal touch.

11. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good luck buddy. It will be sweet if you can weld it all up with aluminum, save yourself some weight and will last a lifetime then. Or until your bored again , whichever comes first..:wink:

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Got some more done on the boat - not sure if you'd call it progress or not since it was mainly tearing stuff up:smile2: Got the rest of the deck/compartment tore out and got the foam out of the box that's going to be the storage area.

As a bonus, the foam was soaked so I got about 50# of water logged dead weight out of the boat.

Still got a lot of cleaning to do where the built-in cooler was and I'm still noodling around with exactly how I want to replace the deck, but it's coming along well.

Attached Files:

13. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    ERIC, I don't think yer poppa is leaving much for ya, making you go to school and all while he is tearing out the boat! NOT FAIR little man, PROTEST!! :smile2: :smile2:

14. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Your crazy ,cant relax can you LOL , well got all my parts so boat will run this year, going to change the floor next winter ,but just want it fishable this year:wink:

15. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Got all the debris out of the way and it's ready to put the deck in but I got lazy, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow:smile2: I did stop by and pick up some pieces and parts to make a canopy with, so that's on the to-do list as well. First thing I'm gonna do, though, is weld up 20 years of old screw holes in the transom and everywhere else on the boat:smile2:

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    might just as well split the front and make her 15* while your at it, maybe add 3-4 feet to the width too :wink: :smile2:

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Wait!

Those screw holes are all that set you apart from ba$$ fishermen! Your identity, not to mention your soul, is at stake here.:smile2:

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Good point, Dave! I'll make the welds ugly and then not touch up paint 'em - I'd hate for the kids or whoever buys it off the widow one of these days to be too happy with it:smile2: And besides, it'll give Randy something to bust my chops about next time he sees it:wink:

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :smile2: :smile2: Hey now, I know we will be over one day to make sure the camo is replaced correctly :smile2: :smile2: and maybe that laser for Eric and Joe to find something to do with :smile2:

20. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck to your brother. Seems like a pretty tough project