Just can't get sold on circle hooks........

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Aug 29, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Maybe I am doing something wrong? I can't get sold on the whole circle hook thing. I have tried doing it like everyone says, just keeping the line tight, and allowing the fish to "load the rod", and it seems to work on smaller fish. The larger fish however always seem to let go as soon as they feel the resistance, and don't come back.

Am I doing something wrong? I can feel them let go of the bait, as soon as the rod begins to load up, why is this happening?:confused2:

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Possibly your bait is in between the tip of the hook and the shank. That could cause the fish to only get the bait and not let the hook do it's job.

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Jeff, I am with you on that. I have missed several fish with the circles. I guess I will stick to the kahle hooks. Good luck fishing, all!!

4. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    guyts circle hooks are no good. i have yet to catch a fish on them and freinds don't like them eather. but there are poeple who beg the differ

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Ill say nothing is 100%. when you feel them pull pull back but not quickly slow and steady will usually do the trick. a quick yank will usually pull it all strait out not giving the hook time to turn on its way out. remember however far you are moving the rod tip the hook is moving as far. what could be happining is the fish has the bait in its mouth but with its mouth shut the rod isnt giving enough pressure to pull the hook out of the bait and into the fishes mouth. try lifting the rod slowly but with alot of pressure when the rods loaded up this should set the hook.

6. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    To each his Own. Circles for you. Khales and Octopus for me..

~ Be your own person and choose the hooks that work for you!

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    when the bite is slow you will need to set your clicker and give the fish time to get the bait and hook in its mouth then you can either thumb the spool or lock the reel and let the rod load up. The smaller fish are grabbing it and getting the heck out of dodge and that is why you are getting a hook set on them but a lot of times the bigger fish (especially this time of year) will lip the bait and not have the hook in its mouth and if they feel resistance they will drop it and probably not come back. I use kahles but it would be the same problem with them on the slow bites you just have to be a little more patient.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Rob,
    I will beg to differ. There are way to many anglers catching with circles for them to be "no good". I use them and very rarely miss a fish.
    I have NEVER deep hooked a fish with them which is the main reason I use them.
    The only criticism of circle hooks I do have is that when a small fish takes the 8/0's I use they tend to get hooked through the eye because the hook is so big compared to the fish...W

9. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use circles all the time after I learned how to use them and another thing is if the point is offset or not, you'll get more hookups with the offset hook. I also put the clicker on then set the drag until it bends the rod quite a bit before the line starts moving off the reel and I let the fish pull line off before I pick the rod up. I see most people that I've fished around want to pick the rod up too soon before the hook has a chance to hookup and that will cause the fish to drop the bait or the person will pull the hook out of the fishes mouth before it gets into the corner of the mouth where they're hooked 95% of the time. This is the best hook I think ever made for catch and release with minimal damage to the fish.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The first time I used circle hooks I was with Richard Simms from Chattanooga and I had never used them before then. Richard advised me to do like you guys said. I missed my first on from the reflex of wanting to set the hook. It felt like a monster to. Don't they always.

I used them all day and we boated around 40 blues that day and the biggest if my memory serves me right was 32 or 34 pounds. The one in my avatar was caught on a circle hook. We missed 3 fish that day. I like them and still use them but I haven't gotten away from my old faithful either.

Like the man said above use what works best for you and you will feel better for it.

I can't for the life of me cast a bait cast reel so I don't worry about it. I use what fits me after all we as individuals are the ones going fishing with the hopes of going catching.

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Started Fishing With Circles Last Year And I Had The Same Trouble And Frustration As Your Having, But I Read The Posts Here On This Forum And This Year I Tried RamRod's Method Which Is Put Your Rod In A Good Rod Holder,Engage Your Reel, Tighten Up Your Line So That There's No Slack And Turn On Your Bait Clicker If You Have One. I Use A Carolina Rig With A Snelled 6/0 - 8/0 Gama Or Eagle Claw Octopus Circle Hook ( I Prefer The Gama, Very Sharp ). There's Alot Of Circle Hooks Out There But The One's I Mentioned Work Best For Me. If The Fish Aren't Biting Good Or Their Just Tapping Or Nibbling Your Not Going To Catch As Many With Circles But If They're Feeding Good Your Going To Catch Alot, Make Sure Your Bait Does Not Fill Up The Gap In The Hook Or The Point Of The Hook, You Want The Bait Hanging Off The Hook. Make Sure You Let The Pole Load Up, If It Just Bends Some Then Stops,Leave It Alone. When It Loads Up You Will Defintely Know It. When It Does Load Up, I Leave My Pole In The Rod Holder And Start Reeling Once I Know The Fish Is On I Pick Up The Pole And Continue Reelng, Don't Let The Fish Have Any Slack Or Your Probably Going To Lose The Fish. Last But Not Least Don't Try To Set The Hook. I'm Not An Advocate For Circle Hooks, I Fish With 2 Poles One Has Circles And The Other Khales, I Just Hope This Helps Someone Who Wishes To Try Or Use Circles Because This Is The Info. That I Learned From The Posts On This B.O.C. Site.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jeff,

It sounds kind of like gar is my first thought. My 2nd thought is that circles work a lot better for blues, which run hard and fast, than for flatheads, which are a bit easier to spook.

I'd switch to a kahle or a J hook for a bit and see what you catch. If you are catching gar, go back to the circles and consider yourself fortunate that you won't catch them very often on a circle. If it's catfish, maybe consider a permanent switch.

I've had good experience with circles for blues, and mixed experiences with flatheads.

13. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    it looks like i found the right post i could not agree with you all more. i started to fish with circle hooks this year and i have now went back to j hooks. i found some that are called catmax they have a little bite of a true turn in them so far i have not lost a fish with the circles well i have lost more than this year than i would like to admit. they say not to set the hook but to give presure to it and it would set it self but it never happend. so i am now hooked on the j hooks i am glad i switched whin i did because i landed a 41lb with the j hook that i put on that night.

14. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey Gary, Good advice. I have used Kahle hooks for several years, and j hooks before that. I thought about he Gar possiblity too, but I don't think that is the issue every time. I fish with 3 poles when space permits, I put a circle on only one pole, and have to keep it in the same place so I don't forget wich one has the circle hook on it. I get about he same amount of bites on all three hooks (other 2 kahle), but have better luck hooking fish on the kahles. I was just trying the circles out to see if I liked them or not, after reading all the reviews on here. I think I will keep trying them on a limited trial, and use some of the techniques and tips given on this post, and see if I have better luck.

As usual, the bank of knowledge and advice between the brothers here comes to the rescue!:smile2:

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    To the guy who said "all the little ones get hooked but the big ones let go" ummm.... I'm torn between how do you know you never saw or hooked one... and That must be what happens to me too. Each fisherman must do what feels right to them. I will say that I am very Brand concious when I buy. I will only buy Gamakatsu Circle or Octopus Circle. A friend gave me some Eagle Claw and those fat dull things will rot before I ever use them again.

IF you have the patience to leave the dad gum thing in the rod holder with the reel engaged clicker on and drag set that you let out line before the line breaks, you will catch fish. I have drifted for channels and they'll pull your rod tip down to the water. The 32 pound Flattie that i caught last year was on a circle hook. So yeah, I guess you could say I like Circle Hooks.

PS I use 8/0. Big hook but small enough for the 2 pound fish as well.

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That was me who said the bigger ones let go. I think just about everyone can tell the size of the fish by the bite, I know I can. I can also tell the difference MOST of the time between a channel cat, a flathead, and a gar. Not every time, but most of the time.

When you have your rod, and can feel that sloooooowwwwww solid pull, and feel the fish's head moving back and forth as he swims, you can judge by the distance his head moves, not to mention the speed it moves, how large the fish is.

I will keep trying, and try leaving it in the rod holder instead of picking it up, see what happens.

17. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i dont use circles never cared for them i used them on one rod for a year and never caught one fish on that rod , i use j style hooks only i very seldom miss a fish and have lost very few due to the hook coming out , if the hook gets down their throat so be it il keep that fish i like to eat them anyway but it dont happen that often most of the time the hook is either burried in the upper or lower jaw behind the teeth patch , i like to set the hook hard and yell " FISH ON " it lets every one on the river know im catching fish , nothing like watching all the boats around you pull up ancor and leave cause they have no reason to yell lol you cant set the hook and start a good fight with a fish on circle hooks they are just to freindly for my liking

18. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    In my experience i've found circle hooks don't work as good on braided lines or superlines.I guess its the no stretch that gives it away.I use 6/0 Gamakatsu circles for blues & 8/0 Gamakatsu circles for river flatheads.I only use them on Big Game mono.I also have noticed that if the fish picks up the bait and swims back towards you using the circle hooks, he more than likely will get off.The hook had no chance to cam into the corner of the mouth.

19. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am impressed. I used to spend that kind of time on the river. Now I say get the net it feels like a big one and then it is only 5-6 lbs lol!

20. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i hear yea try the vmc red circles there the best circles i ever used. others have let me down .khales are good to cause sometimes we tend to set the hook out of instect.good luck