Just BROKE an Ugly Stik:(

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by veryama1975, Feb 7, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I just got back from Gander Mountain. I was looking at the 8ft 2piece ugly stik cat rods. I guess I knew better but I "checked" the rod by bending it & it broke about 12inches from the tip. I didn't even bend it very far before it cracked. I've bent a lot of the 7ft Ugly Cat rods at wal-mart & they never broke.
    :embarassed:
    The clerk at Gander Mountain was pretty cool about it though...they didn't make me pay for it. I went ahead and bought one of the 8ft ugly stiks anyway because I've been wanting one for a while now & I'm hoping that one breaking was just a fluke. I've heard so many good things about Ugly Stiks that I thought I could afford to risk the $30 anyway.

Even though it was embarassing, I'm glad that I bent/broke that first rod anyway because I think there had to have been something wrong with it. If I hadn't tested it beforehand I would have bought that one & regretted it later.

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats the first time I ever heard of a Ugly Stik breaking.

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Wasnt there some kind of gurantee that those rods wont break? Maybe not. You're actually the 2nd person that I know who has managed to break one of them. Same place too.

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Just make sure you keep your receipt for warranty purposes. :wink:

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  6. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    i broke one last year but it was my fault. i jerk it and it was under my achor tie off.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    My wife broke one about a year ago and we contacted them, they told us to send it to them and they would replace it, and they did..:wink:
    I have never had one break on me yet, still a very tuff rod imo.
    :big_smile:

8. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Now that I think about it, I think it was probably already broken. As soon as I started to bend it I heard a cracking sound...I mean before it was even bent 6 or 8 inches away from straight.

9. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I saw one that was over 10 years old break towards the top, but I've never saw a new one break. It would of been neat seeing you next to one of there commercials when it happened.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I have one right now that is all packaged ,wrapped and ready to send back.
    Just haven't done it yet. It broke in about the same area your talking about.

11. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich

How did the one you've got break? Regardless, isn't it interesting that the few that I've heard about breaking all break in that same spot?

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i had a medium action ugly 25 years ago or better , and i had to show off how tuff it was to everyone who would let me .:wink:
    well i guess i did it one too many times cause she cracked into prob close to where yours did and i felt pretty silly holding the former 1 piece rod in two pieces .:smile2:

hadn't broke another since but then i don't try to flex em any more.
    glad it happened in the store rather than at the water.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Beware, a good buddy of mine bought one, an Ugly Stik. He was all...... man this is the best rod they make, unbreakable........ all that stuff. As he was walking out of the store he started whipping it back and forth, SNAP! lol Was he embarrassed. He took it right back in and they gave him another one, no problem. The problem was out side when he explained that the first one must have had a imperfection. He proceeded to whip the new one. You guessed it SNAP again! Now believe me, it's not the rod all of the time, it's how you treat them. You will never know how the rod was treated before you got it. A store employee may have bumped it on a shelf or something. I strongly suggest that when you buy a new rod or reel take a very close look at it no difference what the brand..............:cool2:

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got one Ugly Stick. About 2"-3" broke off the tip, and I just had a tiptop put on it. Works fine that way, but I certainly take exception to their ads leading you to believe their rods are unbreakable.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive never broke one yet. have two like your talking about. 7'ers. i do not try to bend them tip to butt like they claim. just leads to breakage. i just use them normally. there just a rod. glad ya didnt get the imperfected one.

16. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I broke an 8' Ugly stick, just above the first guide, setting the hook on a six lb. catfish.

17. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    :crazy:Thats the first ugly stick i've ever heard of breaking.:crazy:

18. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Atleast they are dishwasher safe. :wink:

19. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I guess the political slave labor in China just ain't what it used to be anymore.
    :sad2:

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems like bending a rod that way is not a natural bend for the rod. Usually a big fish will not bend the rod into a horse shoe shape so why do we humans bend them in that manner? It don't surprise me that it broke.