just bought first abu

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by eric2006, Jun 21, 2009.

1. eric2006

eric2006 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i bought a red abu 6000 for $75 yesterday and got to test it out last night as well. i caugt two 20 pound flats and had no problem with it at all. I think im going to like this reel.
    Im looking at a black abu 7000, hes asking $135, might take $120.

2. nater779

nater779 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i love my abu garcia but i have a 5500 and it has plastice gears i tring to get money iam going to get a bigger one here soon and look out cats iam coming

3. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    I've got a 5500C, a 5500C3, and a 7000. All three are excellent reels. Enjoy your Abu, Eric. Clean it and lube it now and then (there's excellent step-by-step instructions with photos in the member library....VERY easy to do) and it'll last you a very long time.

Nater, most all of these reels have some plastic gears. The plastic gears in the Abus are ones that should be plastic. They're sacrificial gears which means they'll strip first to save other (more important and more costly) parts of the reel. Plus they're in locations where they're unlikely to strip in the first place. Nothing to worry about there.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    not bin long sins i got my first abu fixing to get two more its not hard to fall in love with a abu congrats bro it will last a life time if you take care of her

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric congrats on the new equipment. You want be sorry for making an ABU your choice.

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    You now own the dominate reel in the Catfishing world.:wink: The Abu Garcia baitcaster. Like it was said, keep good care of it and it will last for many years to come. Great investment and choice!! Congrats on the Flathead catch too!!:big_smile:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on your new reel. Abu Reels is all I use! :smile2: