Just bought an Abu Ambassadeur 6000...

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Gibbzilla, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    How many of y'all here use this reel? I spooled it with 20# Power Pro braided line. I haven't used baitcasting reels much but I've been needing to start using them since I feel like there is so much more cranking power than there is with even the top of the line spin-casting reels. Any impressions on the Ambassadeur 6000 and size of fish you've caught on the reel would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Adrian.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have eight of the abu 6000's reels. You will find them to be a very versitle workhorse, capable of handling just about any fish that swims in North America, line capacity permitting. Just learn to set the spooling tension every time you change bait, lures or other terminal tackle. The effort you put into mastering a level wind reel will show each time you go to the river or lake. I'd recommend using a heavy monofilament when first starting to cast with a level wind... the bird nests won't be pulled as tight and it may be easier to get the knots out. LOL The reel should handle the line you put on it all right. One word of caution though, when you hang up, as you most assuredly will, don't lock the spool and try to break the line, or wrap the line around the reel handle to break it. Neither part was made for that purpose and you may get away with it for a thousand and one times, but watch out for the thousand and two times... carry a foot long broom stick with you to break the line. Treat the reel right, oil the pawl faithfully - more often if fishing in sandy conditions. Keep it clean, set the drag to a level you want, and most of all, don't blame the reel for any short comings you may have.

3. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I havent caught anything very big on mine yet, only had it for a couple of weeks, but everyone Ive talked to on here says theyll handle anything you want to catch. As far as performance of the reel, I love mine. Couldnt be happier! Good luck to you!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a couple and like them. Good advice was already given about this reel.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck with the new reel, hope you get a monster.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have a Abu 6000 and I love my.

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    have one as well love it!!!

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Have a bunch of them and like them and they do the work. Anytime I found them at a good price I buy another.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Very versitile and wel built!!! These reels are great for almost any type of fishing.

10. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    I have one I bought in 1983. Never had any trouble with it what so ever. Have caught Bass up to 12lb 4oz and Cats up to 22lb. Still works great. Love that ABU 6000. :big_smile:

Rick

11. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
  12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Forget the so called "top of the line" if you want a spin-casting reel with a drag.Go find yourself a old Zebco 808 or 888.I envy you.Enjoy!I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

13. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I have two of them and have never had a problem. I would recommend that when your not using the reel for any length of time back the drag off so the spring doesn't weaken.

14. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yeah my favorite of the spin-casting reels I have is my 888 prostaff. I just got back from the lake with my new 6000 and didn't catch a darn thing besides snakes! It was the 2nd time this summer I've been skunked. The cats have cooled off a bit down here.

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It's a very nice reel. It also is a very nice price. It'll cast very well and I use 30# mono on mine and it still outcasts every other reel I have. I'm sure you'll love it. I've caught up to 20lb flatheads and some blues a little larger than that on mine and it held up fine.

16. Missouribreaks

Missouribreaks New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just switched from a twice replaced pinnacle solene bc within a week, to a abu garcia 6000. wow, what a difference. Feels good in the hand

17. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have one and I have been using it for years. I've never had a problem with it. I have mentioned in other post that if I had it to do again I would have bought more abu6000 instead of the abu6500 that I have. I does everthing just as good as my abu6500's and it cost a good bit less. I hope you enjoy it because it will last you a long time.