Just bought a Penn 209 on Ebay

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Defender, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    It is an older reel in "excellent" condition. I almost bought one of the Okuma Classic Pro Levelwinds from Catfish Connection, but for about the same price I got something I really wanted -- after learning about them here.

I would appreciate suggestions on what line to use. I have Trilene Big Game 25lb on my Penn spinning reel, and I plan to put Power Pro 65lb on my Ambassadeurs. I figure I'll probably use PP with some backing, or just spool up with some monofilament.

If I use PP with backing, how much PP and how much backing do y'all think I should use? Would the Trilene Big Game be good backing?

If I spool up with Big Game, what would be the ideal weight of line to use with this reel and, say, about a 10' Berkeley Glowstik?

Thanks for your help.

2. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just started to use a 09 on a 6ft berkley glow-I like power pro-but the o9 has 50lb spidey wire on it-like it YES-retrieve is slow but other then that SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!:big_smile:

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oh it will have power pro on it next year:wink:

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

WELL FIRST OF ALL GOOD CHOICE!! I USE PENN 309'S SPOOLED WITH 65LB POWER PRO AND LOVE UM!. . AND YES THE BIG GAME WOULD BE GOOD BACKING. AS FAR AS HOW MUCH POWER PRO YOU SHOULD USE IS UP TO YOU, YOU COULD EASILY FIT 300YDS+ OF 65LB ON YOUR 209. MY BUDDY HOOKED INTO A 40LB FLATTIE WITH HIS OKUMA CLASSIC PRO... AND LETS JUST SAY HE DOESN'T HAVE THAT REEL ANYMORE.. THE THANG LITTERALLY BLEW UP IN HIS HANDS!!!... HOPE THIS HELPS

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That penn blows you had one big fish:wink:

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    IT WAS A OKUMA KENNY! LOL!!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a good purchase. Congrats

8. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I use 309s. They are about the same as the 209s except for a bigger spool and beefier drags. I spool mine with 40 and 50 pound big game line. That 209 should handle 30 to 40 pound mono without a problem. I believe if you put 50 pound or better line on, then you will not have the line capasity you will need if a big cat spools you. If you use a large diamiter line DO NOT back spool with anything else because of the reason I just mentioned. Good luck with your new Penn 209. You made a good choice.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if your gonna put 65#pp on their id say 50# big game backing should work fine. if your gonna run straight mono id say run 40# it casts better and is more managable than 50#

10. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I have either 30 lb or 50 lb PowerPro on my 209's. It will take 300 yards of either no problem. I don't use a mono backer but I do use the foam tape Powerpro includes with their spool. Seems to work fine. Make sure you keep good tension on the line when you spool it... Any stout pole will work these babies. I have a 309 on a 10 1/2 ft TICA Dolphin surf pole, but a 209 would do the trick as well. These 209's and 309's are real bargains on Ebay right now. You will love that reel, especially how easy it is to maintain, and take apart if necessary. Enjoy!

11. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I just sold a 209 on Ebay. Great workhorse reel. :wink:

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats on your new Penn.