Just bought a boat, what to check on motor?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Seth, May 13, 2007.

1. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Just bought my first boat and it came with a 50 hp Yahama jet motor. It starts up fine. I haven't checked to see if it "pee's" water right yet because I haven't had it on the water. The guy I bought it from took good care of it, but he hasn't used it in a while and it has been sitting a long time.

What all should I check and do to it before I take it out and start using it alot?

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm not at all familiar with jet units, but I do know that power head, and Yamaha's are dependable.

Your sorta putting the cart before the horse by asking what needs to be checked, after you've bought it.

Compression and spark should've been checked first. That being good,then someone with knowledge of the jet lower unit should've verified that, yes, the jet pump is not worn , does not need to have shims removed, and is putting out good pressure.

I'm not sure how the vertical power is transferred to horizontal force in the jet unit, but I'm assuming there's a type of transmission, that uses a lower unit oil.

Be sure the gate the gives you reverse thrust is operational and moves smoothly. You move that sucker at high speed and it sticks, you can be thrown out of the boat, right over the bow. Your passengers will be there to catch you:lol:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    One thing you can do is avoid starting the motor unless the boat is in the water or you have the water hose "ear muffs" attached to it. Running the engine dry is a quick and easy way to destroy your water pump impeller.

But I'm with Bob, though - all things you're wondering about now should have been answered before you gave the guy any money. "Only driven to church by a little old lady on Sunday..." Right.

4. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I bought it from a guy who my buddies dad has known forever. He hasn't used it in a while and thats why he sold it to me. He said the last time he had it on the water, everything ran like a champ. My buddies dad trusts the guy.

When we started the motor up just for a second to make sure it would start fine, we had the jet sitting in a cooler of water. There was enough water in it to start it up and run it for a few seconds before we had to shut it off. I know you don't start and run a motor out of water, we just used the cooler as a makeshift pool of water for a few seconds to make sure it started.

What I meant in my previous post was if I should replace plugs and what all should be checked since the boat has been sitting for a while. I didn't know if things go bad while it isn't being used or if that only happens when it is in use. I've always heard that the hardest thing on a boat is letting it sit.

Sorry to sound like such a dummy on this subject, I just don't want to go off messing around and break something due to ignorance.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Replace the plugs and do a good visual and feel inspection on the fuel system. Add some seafoam to your fuel and see if the system is clean. Most times if a moter sets long then it needs the carbs rebuilt and fuel system needs cleaning and the water pump replaced.

Also if it has a lower unit gear box. I am unfamliar with the jet system the by all means change the lower unit oil.

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I appreciate the advice. My buddies dad knows quite a bit about jets so I will give him a ring and see if he can check the other stuff because I don't know anything about rebuilding a carberator and lower units. :roll_eyes: