Just arrived at Offutt / Bellevue-Any Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by Jaaron, May 3, 2009.

1. Jaaron

Jaaron New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Folks, I just moved in over the winter, as was wondering if anyone knew of some good places close here in Bellevue, NE. Want Big Cats, and there's a lot of river. Ventured down today along the 370 bridge ( Nebraska Side) and didn't really see many great places. Found 1 wing dam on the Nebraska side but it looks nearly impossible to fish, or at least get one out of there without a boat. Anyone willing to devulge some information about fishing here on the river (Nebraska side) , and any particular bait. I mainly like to use nice (Sun Seasoned) chicken livers, and night crawlers, but seems alot like to use cut bait.

Any information / point in the right direction, would be great help, and save me a little pain, but I know how it is. Once you find a good hole, it's not something you give out.:wink:

Jim

2. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    welcome to the BOC...im down here in Southeaster Nebraska and just moved out here too. Ive been trying all up and down the river that i can get to from the banks and havent had much luck except with eating size channel so far. ive been all along the banks from Rulo to Nebraska City...the water temp are getting up so they should be biting good soon. If ya ever wanna get out and give it a shot let me know!!!:cool2:

3. Jaaron

Jaaron New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Always looking for a buddy. I'm heading to the river Firday night. Where exactly are you located, here in Bellevue? If so your welcome to come. I've been doing some research and it looks like the Iowa side is were we need to be, although I did find about 3 places on the NE side that were trying out friday.
    From what I gather you can use a NE License to fish off the bank on the Iowa side of the river, but you have to abide by Iowa Regs. I've seen several wing dams on the Iowa side, and I'm planning on making and expidition to the iowa side to look for a place to gain access.

Jim

4. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i'm straight down 75 from you in auburn, ost people around here fish the iowa side around nebraska city, they have alot of wing dikes over there. and yes if you have a nebraska fishing license you can fish both sides of the river. i fish down here mostly, below the power plants because the water temp is a little bit warmer. try looking at google earth to find you some sopts along the river. Im right down here where the little nemaha and big nemaha riers are also. just message me or something and we can maybe meet up somewhere, ill get you my number.

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Are you active duty or retired military? You might consider the base lake. The wildlife reserve down in Plattsmouth might be a place to try. You'll need a duck stamp or something like that to get on there or pay a daily fee. You should try fishing live bluegills on the river. No Frills supermarket is the best place to go for turkey liver.

6. Jaaron

Jaaron New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yes I'm Active duty. As for the Base lake, all the treatments they've done on that lake has probably hurt most of the good fishing in there. I'm planning on heading to the River on Friday evening. Thanks for the tips on livers, as I've gotta buy some of those tonight. I'll be sure and post if we have any luck. I'm thinking get there early enough and catch some small bluegill if possible, then once darkness starts load them up. I figure some night crawlers as well, as I've caught Flathead on them before.

This is my first time on the big river, so there'll be a small learning curve. I've been looking at those Smartcast systems by humingbird to use from the bank. I was thinking they might help with locating underwater structures and deep holes / drop offs on river. However I'm not quite ready to fork out 80.00 just yet. I'll try the old fashion way first.

jim

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I know of a good place to get some small bluegills. You might consider driving up to Summit Lake or one of the lakes around Lincoln, They are known as the salt valley lakes. I'm thinking about going tomorrow night until 1 or 2 in the morning. Let me know if you want to go to a lake instead of the river. The Platte river might be a good choice too and there are plenty of places to access it around Omaha. Reps to you for your service.

8. Jaaron

Jaaron New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    This being my first trip out in omaha, I'm going to stick with the river tonight. I'm hoping to get there early enough to catch some baitfish, if not I've got the usual liver / nightcrawlers. Really tonight is more of a trial run for other places, see how my gear works / don't work etc.etc...

I would be interested in fishing the lake, once I start to get my bearings around here. I'm still attempting to find places, and figure out were I'm at, any help would be appreciated. I'm going to get one of those SmartCast Hummingbird RF-25 next week, and try that out around the river. All the reviews I've seen, say they are great for reading the bottom layout/depth, not the greatest as a fish finder. I just mainly want to use it for finding the deep holes along the river bank.

Anyhow I'll post any luck, or lack of, tommorrow morning. Good Luck..

9. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    How did you do?

10. Jaaron

Jaaron New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Not so good. Couple of Drums, and 1 little River Cat about 12in long. Wind got so bad I was worried that some of the trees that those beavers had chewed on would fall on us. We had several bites, but seemed all they wanted to do was suck on it, but not take it all the way. I need to work on a better place, on the river to catch big cats.

Jim

11. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I found a new river access to the Elkhorn river just west of Omaha off of Dodge Street. It would be about a 30 minute drive from the base.