Just any cut bait?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by south_va_fisherman, Jul 20, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    the water i fish for catfish is brackish( james river and tributaries) and there are saltwater fish with the cats. if i catch, say...a croaker and cut him up will that work as cut bait? will cut fish work? thanks

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never had much luck using croaker (or freshwater drum) for cut bait. I think that a bloodier baitfish will probably work better for you. Anything from the jack family; ladyfish; 'cuda; anything from the herring family (?), such as pogie, menhaden, herring, saltwater skipjack, etc. Think 'sharkbait', then cut it up smaller for cats.

3. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I think it was Big George that said he has luck on croaker guts.

4. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i didnt mean i was using croaker, but they are easy to get. they are the saltwater bluegill:smile2:

how do you think frozen menhadden would work?
    My dad eats those nasty little herring chunks soaked in mustard sauce, i wonder how they would work?:eek:oooh:

5. Cat_Daddy

Cat_Daddy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Striper is my cut bait of choice.

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    I know menhadden work on the Cooper River alot like the James. Never tried croaker. Just give it a try if it don't work at first try to doctor it up a little with garlic or another seasoning. If still nothing don't depend on it for bait.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Rather than croakers, I'd try using pinfish, which are actually more like freshwater bream or white bass. Cut ladyfish should be good, too.