Just another drifting question

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mo.Hick, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    The question is why dosent anyone drift at night? I know that some of the answers might be because if you get tangled lines and it is hard to see this. At this time of year the temp is comfterable in the day time. But in the summer it gets so darn hot in the day time. I would figure that they would hit at night also. Just wondering. I would think it would be as fun at night as it is in the day time. Maybe put some different excitement in it.

Tom

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I drift at night. But to clarify my drift, I drop the lines straight down from the hold tip at a controlled depth. As oposed to dragging the lines behind the boat, which can get tangled up.

3. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I,ve done the same thing and it works. I would put all the lines straight down but two, i would drag them, as long as i was fishing a lake with a clean bottom.

4. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In my experiences, the drifting bite isn't really hot until mid-late morning and tapers off an hour or so before dark when the sun gets low. When you drift and kick up some silt off the bottom I think cruising fish can see the muddy water and key on that to find the bait and hit it aggressively. Also the wind usually dies down a lot in the evenings making it harder to drift without using the trolling motor.

Like the other guys said...spider rigging vertically is a lot more effective at night. My 2 cents for what it's worth.

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    WELL MORRIS ( FLATHEAD DREAMING ) WENT ABOUT 6 WEEKS AGO DRIFTING 1 NIGHT AND DID WELL WE BOATED 20 OR SO TOM .

AND CHRIS WENT AT NIGHT BEFORE AND DONE WELL ..

SO YES IT WILL WORK

I SEE A PERSON SMACKING A BIG FISH DRIFTING AT NIGHT :wink:

6. nevets91

nevets91 New Member

State:
    rock hill south carolina
    i drift at night using six rods dragging behind the boat and four or six straight down and dont have much problem with tangling and i catch plenty of fish drifting at night i actually never anchor at night... no reason i just prefer drifting

7. driftin blues

driftin blues New Member

State:
    mo
    I primarily drift in the daytime, but have made a few night drifting trips on Truman and have caught a lot of nice fish when we did. I don't run as many poles at night as I would in the day because it is harder to keep them untangled at night. I have experimented with spider rigging but usually just drag baits. The great thing about drifting and probably the reason why most drift in the daytime is you can catch a ton of fish in the daylight, you don't have to stay up all night to catch fish. I like to sleep at night therefore I drift in the daytime. The times I have done it at night I did not notice any slack off of the drifting bite, but the mechanics of using the trolling motor, drift sock, line counting reels, casting multiple lines out without tangling up etc. is without a doubt a lot easier to do in the daylight. The cool thing about night time is putting the glow sticks on the tip of your poles and when you get a drifting bite with the glow sticks it is tremendous to see. The drift bite is in general huge compared to an anchored down bite. A 3 pound blue caught drifting will load a pole more than a 20 pound blue will when anchor fishing on the initial bite. That is what hooks people like me on drifting, the bite is just a blast to see, makes you giggle like a school kid everytime. Can't wait till 5 p.m. tommorow when the work week ends and the driftin begins.

8. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Thanks for the replys. As always alot of different opinions. That is what I like. It gives all of us different things to try.

Tom

9. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I drift fish only at night. The lake is has a fairly clean bottom and the areas I drift are 6 to 15 feet deep. I drift from a pontoon boat with 4 to 6 rods and use a trolling motor attached to the rear. I rarely have tangled lines; only when I am netting a big fish when the wind is really blowing. I use a black light (a two foot "plug in" light from Walmart that cost $10 with a power inverter) and solar green Big Game line, so I can see all my lines from the reel to the water. I watch the lines to steer the trolling motor. My best catches are during the heat of the summer. Drift fishing at night with some Merle, George, or Vern playing in the background is my favorite fishing. Life doesn't get any better.