Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter doesn’t seem to want to let loose and I needed something to do. I don’t bank fish much but when I do I use Dosequis,,,,, never mind. Anyway I decided to make some bank type rod holders.

I used 1-1/2“ schedule 40 PVC and 1/2“ thin wall PVC to make the holder. I used thin wall so the rebar would fit. The stake is 1/2” rebar about 30” long. The butt end of some fishing rods are bigger than others to check before you get the wrong size.

Now there are many way to make a rod holder and there is nothing really special about this style.

I decided to use 1-1/4 ID PVC because it was the best fit for my TWC and Rippin Lips rods. I do use a belt sander and reduce the size of the rod butt though. Got tired of them getting hung in the Monster Rod Holders when a big cat had the rod tip buried. First step was to use a heat gun and a glass bottle to flare the end. Makes it easier to put the rod in and the sharp PVC edge can’t damage the rod grip.

Writing implement Pen Office supplies Material property Bicycle part

You can see the smaller PVC and the clamps that hold it in place. I used a bench grinder to grind down the 1/2” end cap for a better fit against the bigger pipe. I also tightened and marked the hose clamp so I could cut and round off the strap end when I got rid of the excess.

Gas Auto part Bumper Machine Audio equipment

Finally, I beveled the ends of the rebar so it would go into the ground easier and to make sure it would go into the small PVC after it had been hit with a hammer a few times.

Bumper Cylinder Material property Automotive exterior Tool

So, the short time it took to make three and the time it took to write this used up some of this cold weather we have here in Indiana.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
aaawww shucks Neill,

Smile Toy Emoticon Smiley Happy

Just part of the affliction of being a perfectionist. And it could have been better. May be yet if I can find my acetone and clean off the lettering on the PVC, then wire brush and paint the rebar. That would eat up some more cold weather. Lol

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, I really like the idea of using the small PVC for the rebar. I bet it is easier for storage purposes. I may have to adjust my setup. Appreciate you sharing Tom!
The though that storing it might be easier was why I went with this style.

Now since the hose clamps are not touching the rebar, the PVC can rotate from side to side But it is snug, not loose. I will see f that causes any problems soon. The way it is now, the clamps are snug but not too tight because if too tight the thin wall 1/2 “ tubing will distort. The actual use may suggest the need for some fine tuning.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
J, I don’t think it is thick enough to add a set screw to. I have used setscrews in schedule 40 on several occasions and that works well. Actually I am thinking the ability to turn a little on the stake may be an advantage. It is not at all sloppy loose but yet not hard to turn. If I try it and decide using a set screw would be better, I will switch to schedule 40 pipe close to the rebar size and then add a thumbscrew.

tight lines

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yah, a wedge would work. But I am thinking since I will be using it in White River high has a strong current, it would be fine for the rod to swivel and face the way the line is being pulled.

For that matter, with a screwdriver or a dime, I could tighten the bottom clamp and it would tighten on the stake.

I’ll know more after I have tried it out.

·
Premium Member
12,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RM, I have some of a similar design but much lighter iron. They are Hills brand and made for channel cat fishing. I went with this heavier duty style for river flatheads. At least I am hoping that is what they are for. The rebar is a little too big to stick a marshmallow on. lol

tight lines

1 - 20 of 24 Posts