just a reminder check you line

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jan 23, 2010.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know most people do this, and I know most of us will be using new line this spring.

However new line can get nicks in it very quick, even after one cast.

I always run my fingers over the last couple feet of my line, including my leader before every cast.

And it amazes me how often I feel small knicks or frayed spots in the line even after a couple cast, and I always cut it off and retie.

I remember last May when I caught a 50lb flathead, I was using new big game line, and on the second or 3rd cast I felt a small nick in the line a few inches above the leader...I cut it of and retied it...And I caught a 50-lb fish minutes later.

I have no doubt if I had not checked my line it would have snapped on this fish.

It is better to take a couple seconds to check you line, and then a minute or 2 to retie, than having the hearbreak of loseing a big fish.

So controll what you can, it may save you a big fish!

2. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    good post jack, i check my line alot ,when i was a kid never gave it much thought, i can only wonder how many fish i lost due to nicks,cuts in my line

3. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good advice Jack. I'm a line checker also, always have my eye on it, I've detected nicks ten fifteen feet up sometimes, hate to waste that much line so I run it through my fingers and cut the good parts out for leader material. I too wonder how many good'uns escaped my capture due to line failure and neglect, its the little things!
    Just a reminder for those that don't practice it, put all that useless line in your pocket and take it home with you to be disposed of in an eco friendly manner. :laugh1:

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Good advice.Hadn't really thought about it till now.Usually didn't check it unless i had been hung up.Thanks for a great tip.Will do it a bit more often.

5. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Great tip Jack, thanks for the reminder. i get in a hurry alot of times and don't check my lines. but i fish a lot of rocks and they do a lot of damage to the line.

6. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i agree. i dont know how many times i go to go fishing and get all tripped up due to massive amounts of line being left on the bank. great post jack. i never even thought of chcking my line whn i ws a kid but within the last few years now that im getting back into fishing i have and what made me start was i was simply reeling my pole in and had the line pinched inbtween my fingers infront of the reel getting the water off the line and allof a sudden the started to feel very rough. it started to make me think how important it was to check the line after i found that. i will be good on line this year as i just got my 2# spool of that offshore visious 30 pound hivis yellow in yesterday. now i will have something to do!!

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Chris, glad to see you got that vicious line, give us a full report later in the year on how well you like it.

I have tried many brands of mono, and in my opnion you just got the best!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great point jack, I have also felt nicks in my line while reeling in 10 -15 feet up, I always cut it off and retie...Better to lose a little line than a big fish.

9. oklakugels

oklakugels New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Awesome post. Something else I do is check to make sure my weights aren't all gnarly where the line runs through them, I know they'll fray spiderwire with the quickness whenever they get that way.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    jack, great post... like we have talked before, i am like you, i am constantly changing and buying more line.... i dont take any chances, that keeps me from being nervous about loosing a fish. as i reel in i start feeling my line at the beginning... i cant tell you how many times i have found a nick in the middle of a 100 yd cast... i use BBG mostly in mono, so its not that i have bad line, but sometimes in the river things just nick the line...