Just a realization...

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Stumpknocker2, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I use berkley trilene big game 30# green as my spool line, and I have some cheap Omni 30# clear that I use as my leader line. Well I just realized that this weekend when I got hung up and I broke off, it always broke right at the swivel on the Omni leader. Which is cool for at least i am no losing my sinkers, or leavig a bunch of line in the water. But it does go to show you that the big game really holds up and far superior to all other mono lines, in my opinion, of course.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I understand your thought process completely. However. How do ya think that "CHEAP" line ya are usein as leader is gonna perform with a fish on it wrappin itself around stumps and rocks? Just a thought.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I agree with George, Why buy expensive main line if you are going to fight the fish with cheap leaders!!!!
    A chain is only as strong
    as it's weakest link!!!!

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    what george and jw have said is true , i have pulled mine out of rocks pulled logs in and even pulled in rocks before , 30# big game is strong . i understand your tryin not to lose line but chances are good that you wont , atleast not with big game . i have snagged into power pro and spider and pulled them in with my big game , i would put it up against any other line of the same poundage or even bigger in some cases .

if it were me in your shoes id do away with the swivel and use a bead and stop knot between the hook and sinker on my main line less knots mean less breaks and the result would proove worthy , that big fish wont break that big game . like he would the lesser leader .

id rather take my chances my way then to risk loseing a fish the other.

just my oppinion

5. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I think when you say leader, you mean just the line to your sinker right? i rig that way too. i put lighter cheaper line to my weight where when i get hung up in the rocks thats all i loose is the weight. btw, a new bass pro shop is openin in san antone this week. looks like they are gunna be proud o their stuff lol. they do advertise berkley big game 1/4lb spools for $1.99. that may be worth the trip. 1/4lb spool is usually 500-600 yds right?

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A 1/4 lb spool of 20 lb big game has 650 yards. The 30 lb spool would have much less, but still over 500 yds. At Bass Pro, some things are cheaper, but others are priced the same or higher. Have to be selectiver there. Overall, I find Academy to have better deals. As for the leader, while it works fine with higher test lines to run just the sinker, bead, and hook, the leader serves to lessen main line abrasion and cut offs. I usually go 10-15 lbs more than my main line if using monofilament.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have to ask the "BURNING" question !

Why would you use a LEADER that is the same lb rating as your main line??? Seems to me that you might as well use the same line as your main line for your leader.

If use 40lb main line and an 80lb leader and, if I am using 20lb main line, I use 50lb leaders because, I don't want to fight the fish with a thin leader. It has been my observation that the first 12 to 18 inches up from the hook is the part that really takes a beating on obsticles during the fight.

Some folks like Omni Flex, I don't!!! I won't use it for anything, much less for the most important part of my rigging.

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Aesome post! I agree completely. I don't use the best of the best line(primarily Iron Silk) but I have never had a problem with it breaking on any fish. I almost always use a heavier leader than the main line. usually 20-25 main with 30-40 leader. Also don't forget to check your leader and main line for knicks

9. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    That is a very good question, JW. I dont really know why, I use the same, normally I would use a bigger leader line, but the only thing I had with me at the time was the omni. I was using 50# mono and ran out, I guess I was just trying to use what I had on hand. It was an observation I made between the two lines, while using them at the same time. Both are thirty pound rating but one is far superior than the other.

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The leader is the line that ties between your swivel and hook, I can see where one can get confused.
    You must be using a three-way rig. The line you are talkin about is called a drop-line and, is usually alot lighter than the mainline or leader so your weight will break off if it gets hung up.

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    YO-ZURI Hybrid line makes a great leader material.As a mainline it can often eliminate the use of a leader in sensitive fishing.I have found it very abrasive resistance.peewee