Just a quickie:

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by postbeetle, Feb 22, 2008.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I see a new fella here. A Texas lad. He lists his name as Chad. His screen name is "Ouachita".

I don't mean him any embarrassment by bringing this up and I apologize if I am, but I am curious.

I am one of those Northern climate ( I....O.....Way) members. I apologize for that to, but that is where I am from and I can't help it. I wasn't blessed to be born below Missouri and I realize I talk funny.

Am I right or am I wrong. Is Ouachita pronounced "Wash-It-Tah" And is it a river or a plateau or a range? Is it even in Texas?

(49-1=48 (If a blind pig can't find an occasional acorn, I'll guarantee he will find your petunias)

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey John. I think it is pronounced "WHA-CHEE-TA". i have been known to be wrong though.

3. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
  4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    you had it right it is washitaw and it is a river in arkansas there maybe other things named that also but I live near the ouchita river down her in south arkansas. We also have a county named ouchita and lousiana has a parish named ouchita and the ouchita river runs thru monroe la. There is also a big lake near hotsprings ark. that is named lake ouchita it is a good deep fishin lake. The ouchita river was dammed there to create that lake.

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Mike, use Google all the time and for some reason it didn't cross my mind. Have read the name many times in stories and heard it in movies. My brain just couldn't but the spelling and pronunciation together.

"Wah - shi - tah" = Mountains from Arkansas through Oklahoma into Texas

49-1=48-1=47 (Attention! The volleyball game between the NCO's and the CO's has been canceled until the stolen case of grenades is found.)