Just a question

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CraigO, Mar 3, 2006.

1. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    Hello to all! I'm a newbie on the BOC... a couple of questions. I have catfished all my life... mainly catching eating sized channels, up to 8 pounds or so. My biggest fish is an 11 lb blue... the only cat I've ever caught on live bait. What are some good, generic hints for finding a flatty? I've never caught one. I've retired from bass fishing and want to go after bigger cats.

The other ? I have is how do I get to the BOC library? thanks

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    best generic hints for flatheads

Flatheads prefer live bait

Flathead like structure

general rule of thumb, larger bait = larger fish caught ie don't use a minnow expecting to catch a 40# flathead.

Use live bait that is indigenous to the area, ie if you have blue gill in the water yer fishin, use blue gill, shad, skip jack. Forage fish

To get to the BOC library, Click here!!
    It is the BOC Outdoor Publication area

3. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we usually catch them in snags or in little copes off the outside of river bends, not sure how much help i'll be, but be prepared to have patience!

good luck!

4. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You'll need it when ya get to the water, but to get the most out of this place, ya need to use it here too. There's a world of info available, but you need to sift thru it for yourself. No one else knows where you will be fishing, or what times you have to fish; the variables are endless. But very little concerning fishing is not already covered here. Good genric suggestions may be ok, but if you patiently read thru these archives you will find yourself in possession of knowledge that's very valuable and hard to come by on your own. It's up to you.

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I find that bluegills and green sunfish are some of the best baits. I haven't tried bullheads, but I hear they are good to use too. Flatheads prefer structure, and don't bite too well during the winter, so I have to wait until the water warms up to about 60* F before I can get out and go after them. I like to use a sliprig too, since it allows the fish to pick up the bait and run with it before I set the hook, and therefore it doesn't spook them as easily.

:0a26:

6. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    I've been reading a lot about flatheads on here. Lots of helpful stuff. I grew up thinking the only way to catch a catfish was from the bank with something stinky, like liver, worms, etc. (the stuff channels really like). I can't wait to try and catch a flat this year. Who knows... might take a long time as you all know but I wont give up. Thanks for the input