Just a question on stick steering..

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Old Bill, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    i've never seen a stick steering set-up advertised for sale.

I've tried to locate where stick steering parts are offered for sale, but so far haven't found a dealer or manufacture who sells stick steering set-up's.

Now, I will most likely never buy one, but I would like to know where a person could buy a set-up and about how much it would cost.

I would appreciate any help...

Bill

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    my local boat repair shop can get them pm me if u need ph. no.

3. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have seen them advertized at west marine, basspro also I think. probly a bunch others

4. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    just saw some kits on ebay. i think they were about 150 bucks.

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Lawrence! That's what I was looking for.

The price's are much more than I expected...but, then again I really didn't know what to expect. it looks like a person would spend close to $1,000 to change from a tiller to a stick steering system. Which is more than my old boat is worth!:eek:oooh:

Maybe I run across a used one somewhere.

Thanks for the information,

Bill

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The first one I ever saw appeared to have been homemade. It used a big (~12") pulley, an emt stick w/bicycle grip, and plastic covered cable, like they used to use for steering, back when the earth was still cooling.

Looked dangerous, to me.

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Dangerous, oh pshaw, thats what them boys thought when they tormented the tiger a short while back>:sad2:
    Whats life without excitement? :-(

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hey, Dave, now that's a thought....I could rig up some clothes line running to the back of the boat...a bunch of springs and pulley's, and a large dowel rod for the steering stick!:roll_eyes:

Of course, with my faulty memory...remembering whether to push or pull to miss that on coming boat or dock might cause a little excitement!:crazy::crazy:

Hummmm! Come to think of it, I guess that would apply even if I had a store-bought stick steering system. Maybe I'd be wise to stick with tiller or wheel steering?:tounge_out:

Bill

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Stick steering is nice. Put your butt right in the front of the boat with nothing in the way. One hand on the throttle and one on the stick. If you are lazy and don't want to move much in a boat, ya park yourself on the nose and you are set.

10. pinsley

pinsley New Member

State:
    VA
    Don't everyone laugh at ropes & pulleys. Where I come from commercial crabbers used these things on 20' to 40' deadrise workboats all the time. The rope ran on pulleys under the gunnel and the ends attached to the tiller. The rope could be tied to the steering stick with a hitch or something more permanent.

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Yeah, we joke about it, but for many, many years that was just about the only method that was used on small pleasure boats! There are still a lot of old fish and ski boats being used today with steering wheels connected to cables and pulleys. I sold one just a few years back and I believe it's still being used.:smile2:

Bill

12. rgmatt

rgmatt New Member

State:
    Delaware River,Pa
    Here's another place that has them. This one is rated up to 40

hp.http://www.akmccallumco.com/store-console.htm

They sure have gone up in the last 5 years or so. When I bought my ezy glide II stik is was around $200. I think I got mine from Overtons, but I honestly don't remember. Yes, it was around $1000 by the time it was all said and done on my boat, w/ me doing alot of it.

Matt

13. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    I've thought about the ropes and pulleys for my jon boat if i ever get around to doing some trotlining (for crabs). My boat is 70 inches across the gunwhales, so it will be hard to dip crabs and hold the tiller at the same time....of course, this would all be pretty much idling speeds, so its not like the boat would be kareening out of control if something happened.

14. dr_love2112

dr_love2112 New Member

State:
    texas (liberty)
    yes going from a tiller to a remote is pretty expensive, the most expensive is the trottle box. i did mine tough and it turned out GREAT

15. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Matt. That is an interesting store. Lots of good items there! And the prices doen't seem all that high.

Well, the prices are high...but not as high as some places!!:confused2:

Bill

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hi Ricky, it would be nice being able to sit forward on my boat. But, I can't spend $1, 000 or more on a $200.00 boat! ($400 for boat and trailer)

Well, I guess i could...but, my tightwad nature wouldn't let me sleep at night!:tounge_out:

The biggest problem would be finding the motor hookups and remote throttle box that would work with a small Nissan 6 HP motor. Actually, the motor was a 4 HP but is now a 6 HP! I'm hoping that it will soon grow into a 15 HP! :wink:

Gotta go...the nurse is here with my medication!:roll_eyes:

Bill

17. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'm a tiller man mainly b/c my jon is only 14 ft. and i feel a consol is a waste of space. If i were to change over i would recommend stick steering. Reasoning being i feel a consol takes up much needed space.

There is exceptions ! If you got a 20 ft. boat why not have a consol for that barge ! :wink:

HAWK

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Matt, when I'm jugfishing by myself, I have basically the same problem you have with dipping crabs. My solution is to simply run the boat in reverse; that way, I have immediate access to the tiller operation of the motor, and can ease right up on a jug. Also, it's really easier to chase a jug in reverse than going ahead because you don't have to mess with turning the whole boat around; you're chasing the jug with the transom, and the rest of the boat can follow behind however it wants to.

19. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Old Bill about 4 years ago I bought one that was almost used from a boat dealer.It came off a new bost that was factory setup with stick steering but the buyer wanted a tiller steer not a stick.I think I paid $150.00.