Just a lil' tipsy

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jga, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jga

jga New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have been so inspired lately to use my kayak and ol' canoe, thanks to the higher prices at the pumps. However my canoe is no spring chicken anymore. I bought the thing used, it is a 17 ft aluminum with the flat back for a trolling motor. I don't really use it much because it is the most unstable craft I ever saw. With that being said, I thought that maybe someone out there may have some great ideas to remedy this problem. I have considered fabricating some outriggers out of large diameter PVC (6or8in.). I would be grateful for any suggestions or concerns anybody may have.

2. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I feel your pain. I have a 12 foot canoe that we nicknamed "tippy canoe." If you weigh more than 200, chances are your going to flip over. Forget taking 2 people with you. I never put outriggers on it, I just got use to the tippiness and used it to improve my balance. My kayak on the other hand is solid as a rock and I havent used ole "tippy" since I got it.

3. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I am in the process of building some for my canoe. It's already steady,but the water is pretty rough sometimes. I tried the open water in the middle of a 40,000 acre lake. BAD,BAD,BAD IDEA. Almost flipped 10 times within the first 1/4 mile.

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
  5. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I know this post is an older post, but your question is very do-able! When I was in my teens, I use to go on church canoe trips, with both my church at the time, and my friend's church as well, and was always welcomed. Anyway, the reason for my post... The smaller children were ALWAYS required to ride in the canoes that had PVC outriggers made by the church members... This was required from both churches! I don't remember the exact sizes as that was 20 years ago, but from memory, I think it was 2" pvc across, then 2" down, with HUGE pvc with caps on them for the floats... it was impossible to tip them in the buffalo river (Arkansas), which was where we ALWAYS went. When we would get started, some of the small children were scared, so the adults would get in them and jump up and down, dance, do funny stuff to make the kids laugh, go side to side, and to let them know that they were safe. It made us laugh too just to see those men get up and acting all goofy for the kids. LOL

Be forewarned though, if you do that, you have to stop and pick the canoe up over rocks in current or you'll rip the riggers off if you put them where they are always in the water. we had to help with that many times. It was always a blast though.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The easiest way to adjust for tippiness is to lower the center of gravity.
    The seat is probally too high.
    If you are heavyset and by yourself that can create another problem where too much of the hull is out of the water because all of the weight is in the rear.
    Move closer to the center of gravity. Get as much of the hull in the water as you can. Larger footprint, more stable.