Just a few Questions - Flathead Catfish and Channel Catfish Tips

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by mike_4843, Apr 11, 2009.

1. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    When is your favorite time of the year to fish for Channels and flattys? Favorite time of the day? Favorite Bait for each? Favorite depth to fish for each? Slow water or Faster Current? And any thing else you can think of.

2. For me; TIME OF YEAR: March for channel cats/August for big Flatties TIME OF DAY: One hour before sunset to two hours after sunset BAIT: Flattie-Live sunny,chubs,crawaler balls/ Channels-Livers and cut/stomped bait CURRENT: SLOW! OTHER: Rocky, snaggy and timbered areas along bank:wink:

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Flats: May, 1-2 hours after dark, 10'-25', big Bluegill, in slow current.

Channels: October, after dark, 5'-20', cut sucker, in slow to med. current.

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    All answers are for channels.

When is your favorite time of the year to fish for Channels and flattys? Pretty much any time of the year for channels.
    Favorite time of the day?
    winter time would be during the day, warmer months would be night time.
    Favorite Bait for each?
    Crawfish, Bluegills, big shinners, doctored shrimp, beef and chicken livers. What ever I can get my hands on at the time.
    Favorite depth to fish for each?
    Shallow in the spring thru fall, deep in winter.
    Slow water or Faster Current?
    More current the better

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Channels-April-Nov. Flats-Mid may-Oct. Channels-right in or next to a decent current. Flats-usually in a hole or an eddy off to the side of a medium to slow current. Channels-Cut bait,shiners,crawlers ,Chicken livers in that order. Flats-Good size live bait 5 to 18 inches, I usually use whats easiest for me to catch. I try to use something they,re used to swimming with, but I haven,t found anything alive that they won,t eat yet. Channels-I like to fish the evening and anytime of night, unless the waters muddy,then I,ll fish any time of day.Flats-I,ve gotta agree with Northport- the magic hours for me are 1/2 before dark til 3 hours after dark. As far as lake or river-wherever they,ve been hitting best.. One place I know they aint hittin is at home. There isn,t nothing gonna beat being out there as much as you can.Good luck.

6. mike_4843

mike_4843 Member

State:
    Shippensburg PA
    This is all really good advice. The intresting thing is, the variety of the advice. I guess it means catfish aren't that hard to catch , you just need to get out there and see what works best for you in your neck of the woods,.:wink:

7. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Channels: Early March-Mid June hour before till 2am, 20'-30', cut bluegills or fallfish,

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    That is In fact, one of THE challenges of internet advice. its all good, but some of it MAY not work for you. consider for example just bait

channel catfish can be caught on : frogs;toads;crawfish;mudpuppies;leeches;minnows;small kinds of fish;Cut up chunks of all kinds of fished; fileted chunks of all kinds of fish; shrimp; dogfood (?); hotdogs; livers; gizards; old pork roast (saw one brute of a fish caught on it); nightcrawlers; grasshoppers; stinkbait; bloodbait; dipbait;soap(?);grapes(?);capala caterpilars (why don't PA cateripilars work:confused2:)...

and on and on...yet I'm always having nightcrawlers and despite it being VERY recommended by many anglers, I rarely seem to keep many catfish bites on it in the River

............. so asking for a range of advice can be dizzying. the best bet is to start guessing, two or more at a time until things seem to click. you need to figure out (at a minimum) bait, equiptment, and location.

Also I would also advise you NOT to lump flatheads with channels. while you can catch a channel here and there when you flathead fish (and vice versus)... the larger two kinds of cats couldn't be different. if your a novice best to start with channels, but if its size that excites you, flatheads

9. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    best advice is to get a bucket of sunnies, if ya want channel cats just cut the sunnies up, if ya want flatheads then use the sunnies live:wink:

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Live gills will always work for Flats. in any neck of the woods you are in (if they are there). Cut bait and livers will always work for Channels anywhere. There are some spots that I like to use other stuff though. I fyou are going for channels make a high-low rig and try 2 baits at the some time and see which one they perfer more.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

Channels: Can be caught from April until December. I fish mostly at night but can be caught in the daytime. Srping is the best time. I like to use cutbait, but chicken livers will works if you can keep them on the hook. Channels can be found in slow and fast current.

Shovelheads: Big ones can be caught form late aApril until October. May and August are my favorite months. Use indegenous baits like big suckers, legal bass, and saucer-plate bluegills. I catch flats in both low and fast current.

Butt the biggest advice I can give is time on the water. If you are willing to sit there long enough to wait, you will eventually run into a few.:cool2: Big fish are down there. They don't eat everyday. But when they do decide to eat, the best chance of getting them is if your bait is out there wating for them.

Good luck!

12. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    I love to be there right before sunrise 4 either. Seems like I do my bets from 6 am to 11 am. Cut suckers or cut bluegill in that order are definatly mt most productive baits. I to find slow moving water with a big dropoff near by.

13. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Great stuff from Tan as usual.. " Get on the Water "
    you will take our info and then get on the water and you will adjust to what suits you best... or works best for whomever posted it.. but dont be afriad to do something else, example just last year we had a dismal start on the west side.. well most of us did... i finaly started getting my best bites an fish between 8 am and 1 am.. and thats Flats.. so if something isnt working for you .. Try something else :smile2:

14. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Amen to that Shawn. adapting to the situation at hand is key. never be afraid to go off the beaten path.