Jury Duty

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by slabmaster, Jun 19, 2008.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have been called for jury duty. i try to be civic minded and don't really mind. it's highly doubtfull i will ever be seated . i am not very liberal and i am not near as far right as the little Cross by my avitar might suggest.

2. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Maybe it wont be on your day off...

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    now thats not funny i only work 4 days a week . i am off on fridays.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sentence me to life on the water please. I'm habitual with little hope of reform.:wink:

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I had to report several times but have never been picked, I think being an officer has something to do with it. LOL !! One good thing is the county pays our days wages, most people get 13 dollars for their troubles.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm lucky when it comes to jury duty. A 6 foot 4 inch white guy,270lbs, with tatoos a shaved head and a long beard ain't got a prayer of gettin picked in Joisy.:wink:

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Been a coupla times. Just had turned 18 when I was called.
    I sat on the jury for a divorce case. We reached a decision in 10 seconds inthe jury room andpassed around the newspaper and read it to kill some time so it would looklike we actually had something to deliberate.

Second time I was pooled for what was supposed to be a week.
    First day I was the first selected for the customary selection process of answering questions from both attorneys and the judge.
    I knew and had used both attorneys on each side of the suit.
    I had wired houses for one witness and my family had been in a lawsuit the last couple of years prior which they won.
    The judge questioned me about that case because he knew of it but didnt know the outcome or the details so court was momentarily put on hold while I told the story to the judge.
    Afterwards the judge said Mr. Johnson is there ANYBODY inbetween Smithfield and Raleigh you dont know or haven't done work for?
    I said , not many sir.
    Mr. Johnson you are obviously a busy man and this court doesnt need to waste anymore of your time. Dismissed.
    I actually wanted to sit on that case and the guy beside me had been whining all morning about trying to get excused. He didnt.:smile2:
    I never did get my 12 dollar check though.

Couple of years ago in Smithfield only a few summoned for jury duty showed up. The same judge issued bench warrants for all that didnt show and sent a deputy to Walmart.
    He stood at the checkout lines. As people got their receipt he handed them a nameless jury summons to appear immediately.:eek:oooh:

I love the rural court setting.

8. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Been on jury duty several times, both county and federal.
    Just had to sit for one case though.

In most Missouri courts (could be all courts) if your name gets picked in the pool for selection after you report.
    It really depends alot on what your number is.

That is to say, what order you get seated in the selection room.
    They will start at #1 and you are basically considered on the jury unless either side rules you out. So if your drawn to be seated at the end you probably won't even be asked a question.

I worked for the Missouri courts for about 6 years.

9. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can tell you how to get out of jury duty.

When they start asking you question, just keep mentioning the death penalty, tell them how you like the idea of it, and think the prisons are way over populated and think we need to rethink a few of those cases.

Been called to jury duty 2 times. Both times I was sent home.........

10. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I agree with Gary 100%

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Never been called for jury duty, might be interesting, but, that doesn't seem to be the general consensus.

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i do not want to get out of it. i do not want to be in it . i am willing to do my civic duty. if they pick me ok if they don't ok. the worst part of the deal is they seem a little flighty to me . i have to go down and check in then call in the eve before court to see if there even gonna have court. i do agree that prisons are overcrowded and 20 years for appeals is a gross waste of taxpayer dollars.:roll_eyes:

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive gotten a notice for jury duty twice and got out of it both times. Simple short excuses got me out of it, student and hunting vacation. I cant believe the second one worked.

14. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've always said the problem with the judicial system is guys like me want to get out of it and Oprah watching types end up on the jury. I too would dread getting stuck on one it but if I was a wrongly accused defendant I'd sure like to see a fellow angry white guy sitting there that would take the time to listen to my side.

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just finished my jury duty term. I only had one case where I actually had to report; the other two cases were settled out of court.

I showed up, along with almost thirty other potential jurors for the two-day trial.

I showed up in dress pants, white shirt, and tie.

They quickly dismissed me--I didn't qualify...too over-dressed! :eek:oooh:

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I must be like Big George. I've been called several times but seems the defense attorneys always found something wrong with me. :roll_eyes:

Once they question me if I would take the word of a TX DPS trooper over a DWI defendant... I knew the answer they wanted but I answered the truth and was disqualified.
    They spent all day selecting a jury... just as soon as they got a jury selected, the drunk pleated guilty.

Another on a guy that said his disability was because he had been poison with H2S (hydrogen sulfide) while working in the oil field. They asked if I knew anything about H2S. I had worked around H2S for 30 years... they sure didn't pick me for that one. :wink: