Junk Yard 6500!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Snagged2, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,,
    I ordered up a bunch of parts off of e-Bay, and built up this reel.. Some parts I ordered from the Abu Garcia service center.. anyhow, I have this New Reel.. Just waiting to Spool it up and take it fishing...
    It has,,, 6500 CS sideplates,, Instant Anti Reverse.. Carbon Matrix Drag,, Loud clicker, Level Wind, and a 6.3:1 ratio, Real Nice Spool Bearings...Very nice and Smooth

Didn't get it all that cheap, but, was kinda fun to put it together with the colors and features I wanted.. ,,,,,, And,, I learned a lot about these reels..

Next, I want to try building a Rod,,,!!!!!

2. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Let us know how that goes... I bet that won't be easy.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Let us know how the reel works for you sounds like you done a fine job of putting it together hopefully once you get it on your pole and able to take it fishing hopefully it will bring you in some big cats.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Sorry Folks, My stuff isn't workin,,, for pics...

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have to give ya propps here on the reel building thats cool....I'd sure like to build me a custom rod it is gonna be a beast to....if I ever do..I am sort of researching a little now keep us posted ..like to hear how ya did ....

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    OK Got the Pics Fired up.....See Post #1 on this thread for a Description...

Sorry for the confusion on this, but, you should've seen it from my side!!!:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    By golley that even looks like a reel...:eek:oooh::big_smile: and who said one mans junk aint nutters treasure....thats some good stuff there I might have to rep ya if I can...NICE bro looks like ya done good.

8. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Nice job man, I wish I was patient enough to pull off something like that! Looks like you'll have a nice reel for a lifetime:big_smile:!

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    VERY impressive!!!!! I like the green Abus too, yet I don't have one yet.
    Bill in SC

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Let us know how the rebuild goes.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    She looks great GREG..Reps to ya bro, Most people would have pitched it and bought a new one...

I have that old No5000 just wondering if it would hurt the value of if I rebuilt it?:confused2:

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thanks guys,,,,

This Reel was not a rebuild,,, It was a BUILD,,, It didn't exist until I put it together...Kind of a Fun, wintertime, anti-cabin fever project!!

I saw the Green Sideplates on e-Bay, and started with that, then just kept adding parts I wanted on it until it was done..!! It's all brand new..

I might even treat this one like I like it....:big_smile:
    Thanks again for your nice comments..

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Sorry about that GREG; The first post should have been checked out again,, But still you done a heck of a job. What was the total $$ on the Build?

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    The parts from several sources is hovering about $125.00,,,,Not Cheap by any means.

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That's just sweet, Greg!

I do something similar with Squidders, and it's big fun.

The cool thing about Ambassadors is, they're like small-block Chevys...between all the factory parts and after-market stuff, if you can imagine it, you can build it.

16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    E-bay, Paypal $125. Satisfaction priceless. Great job Greg.

17. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats on the build Greg! At least you learned the make-up of the famous Ambassadeur, which in my opinion, the best cattin' reel made. By looking at the pictures you did an awesome job:smile2:

18. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice job building the reel Greg! :cool2: Looks sharp in the pics!

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Great work you must have nerves of steel I don't have the patience to do anything of that caliber congrats on the beautiful reel!!!!:wink:

20. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Greg, I hope to be fishing with you when your new reel gets fully tested with the big one! I picked up a 6500 from Cabelas in Oklahoma City on our way to our Christmas visit on Lake Eufaula. I will be back in Payson first of the year. A build from scratch is definitely unique! Get w/you later!