Junk Metal???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by derbycitycatman, Jul 27, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive started selling junk metal on the side recently and was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks for me? I know the basics like copper, aluminum and brass bring great money but does anyone know about foundry steel, prepared and unprepared steel? Ive been looking around the net and info seems hard to find. Ive been thinking about buying a chop saw to condense my loads and get better money? Would a concrete saw be ok for cutting thru car frames and such?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You need a cutting torch imo. I think Catfish Kenny scraps metal. Maybe he will peek in here, and give ya some pointers. There's good money in it though.

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    a day is what I made clearing a man's back yard of years of salvage. I used a demolition saw with an abrasive blade. I paid the rent on the saw, bought blades and still cleared over $100 a day. Now be careful the sparks will set jeans on fire. I still have the scar from that one. Good luck.

4. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    A chop saw that will hold up to what you are wanting will run you about 1500-2000, not counting blades. I would go with a cutting torch, for 2 reasons. One they are mobile, you can cut the metal right were you are, and 2 they are cheaper to operate. As far as the metal and pricing I have no idea.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    What ever you do, don't throw airconditioner compressors in the tin pile. Cut around the can, and remove 4 little bolts. There is at least 5 pounds of No. 1 copper in those.

Tin here is about 200 a ton. You need a good sized bed on your truck, so you can get a couple ton on. My old Dodge, I built a 9 foot by 8 1/2 wide bed with a winch to get the big stuff on. Most yards have a magnet or claw on an excavator to unload you. Anyway the yard I deal with does.

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Another thing to remember batteries and catalytic converters are worth good money too.

Alot of people I have seen dont do anything with them but last time I took batteries in I got 1.25 each for them and 2 bucks for the tractor batteries.Catalytic converters have much more worth by themselves than the weight they add toa junk car.

Also take the time to bust the plastic bowls off the new type radiators and take out the fittings so that you get a better price.

Best money going is in aluminum rims.I used to get around 8-12 a peice for them and working in a car dealership I had no shortage of bent and busted rims.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    The price of steel and iron type steel in gainesville, ga on friday was like 10.18 a pound!

Not bad!

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If I remember correctly batteries are going fo $11.00 each here. Some catalytic converters are briging $80.00

I have to watch the car lot for I have had batteries stolen. Lots of stories about catalytic converters getting taken, gas syphoned, and AC units taken for the copper.

9. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Ya I've heard some car dealerships around here hiring security for the lots because of people stealing converters. People will steal anything

10. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    people were stealing the aluminum guard rails of the highways.:crazy:

11. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    WOW, 11$ for batteries!!!!! Ive got about 20 saved up and was hyped when I heard a store say they'll give me $5. I can remember being offered 75 cents a battery a few years ago. Im cleaning up an old farm with a friend and we are easily making $100 a day each just picking up with our hands, 2 loads in a mazda b2000 pickup. I know Ive lost some money by not loading specific types of metal, and thats gotta stop NOW!!!:smile2: Immaking more in a couple hours a day doing this than my 'real" job.

12. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    WOW! I didn't hear that :eek:oooh: I guess that "stole everything that wasn't nailed down" saying dosn't hold water anymore, they'll steal the nails too:wink::tounge_out:

13. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Man my buddies gonna be a lil upset. He just bought a portable concrete gas saw. I tried talking him into a torch but he insisted on the saw, I glad I didnt go in halfsy's with him, its all his. I beleive in researching things before you buy them.:cool2: We had concerns over a torch starting fires though. Do you guys think a 4hp 14" saw will last a few months cutting up old rusty trailors and rusty cars or did he waste his money?

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think that will be enough. Be careful though those "Hot" saws can get away from ya

15. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Thats hard to say, I have to agree with others you would have been better off with a torch, and if you do go with one get a long cutter :wink: less bending over all day! Plus if you have no need for it when done you can get quite a bit of your money back after your done :wink:. another thing, here anyway, propane is cheaper to cut with.......

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Just on the news the other night here they busted 2 guys for stealing the dang mile marker post, were jacking them out with an old bumper jack :eek:oooh:

17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeh, I'd say a cutting torch would be your best bet for the money and mobility.

Lot's of trouble around here with folks stealing copper from a/c units, especially churches when no one is around and also from electrical sub stations. Heard of a couple getting fried trying to steal copper wire.

I have a scrap metal recycler about a 1/2 mile from the house...business seems to have boomed 100% there in the last few years. I may start hauling myself for extra cash.

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Derb. I have an acquaintance who hunts my property during deer season. Younger guy about 35. He was an excavator operator for a large road building outfit here during the summer work schedule and worked strip mines in the winter in Southern Iowa. He is an artist extraordinaire in that machine. Could work for anybody at any time and ask what he wanted to run it.

Two years ago he quit the job and went into junking full time. He had been doing it partime. Nice man, very mechanical and commonsense. Started small and only does recovery work, doesn't get into too weird a stuff (smelting and wire burning, he just hauls tonnage). I never scale up when taking stuff to the junk yard where he hauls and I have hauled a lot of stuff there over the years. Now I just give the stuff to this guy and he makes money on it.

I took a barge box full of steel posts, wire, nails, well pipe and tin roofing, you name it, to him this spring. I can't stand junk and anytime I have something lying around the farmstead I haul it to him. I thought he would junk the barge box. Nope, he emptied it and it now sets in front of his shop. The neighborhood and locals who have anything to dump will save a trip to town and throw it in the barge box. When it gets full he hauls it to town and weighs up. Amazing how much money he makes. Got a bunch of stuff to take him now as a matter of fact.

He is not crooked and you don't want to take him anything illegal or he will nail ya.

Went fishing a month ago and there was a battery lying on the bank, washed down from a flood. I threw it further up on the bank. The next time I went it was gone. Somebody paid for their bait. I loved it.

Anyhow this man is making a ton of money, on his own schedule and his own boss. Do not do this in any seriousness without a torch. Most places won't take it unless it is crushed or cut into 3 foot sections. Get an active tetanus shot and I hope you are not afraid of snakes or rats when pulling junk. LOL.

John.

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I got to the shop this morning and this homeless thief was waiting for me to call the police. He has a shopping cart full of copper wire that was stolen from the electric co. just the other side of me. The police woke him up and gave him a new pair of shiny braclets. Notice his shopping cart is full of wire, not sure what size but like 20/0 or something. Funny thing while he was sleeping someone stole his bicycle. Dam, imagine a thief getting mad at a thief. LOL

Attached Files:

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I wouldnt worry over cutting a car up. Drag the thing to the salvage yard.
    Getting 500 bucks for some cars around here.