Junk it or fix it?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by catfishjon, Feb 13, 2009.

1. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 1997 90 horse Johnson outboard, model number J90TSLEAU, Serial number G04325261. I have overhauled several smaller outboard motors, but I need some advise on this one. The young man that bought the boat to me said it never got hot, but it just started to miss. This is a v-four and one of the top pistons had no compression. Tear down of the engine indicates it got real hot. There is aluminum stuck to the cylinder wall on two cylinders. Three pistons are scuffed. The one with no compression made deep gouges in the cylinder walls and packed these gouges with piston material. I think the only way to fix this engine is to replace the sleeve and put in all new pistons. I have never replaced a sleeve and don't know what is involved. I am looking for some advise as right now I am thinking this fellow might do better to go shopping for another engine. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Catfishjon

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Rebuilding after that much damage you may be better off looking at other engines for replacement

3. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for the advise. Catfishjon

4. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    it will cost about $125 to have all 4 holes bored out and $200 for some new pistons