Jungle Jims - Fairfield

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by IamMike, Mar 17, 2006.

1. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    ---Note to Moderators - I posted this in the Ohio section, not the Shad section since it pertains to a store in Ohio---

My buddy said that he saw shad for sale at Jungle Jims, big shad like 12"-24". What kind of shad might they be? Has anyone seen them there and know what he's talking about? I mean who would eat shad? If they are in fact shad, I'd like to get some for bait, I mean he said they were huge.

2. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    Yes, they were shad and some people do eat shad, why I do not know... But I've caught shad that large up at Lake St. Marys , by the way Mike, that is a nice store to get cut bait when you are in a pitch...;) but it seems like you figured that one out....hey, try squid for large channels or blue cats....;) .... THE CATKING !!!

3. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never thought of looking there, Might have to wander up a little later.

My guess would be they are american shad, but we wont know till we peek.

Here is a little write up and some recipes for the adventureous:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/outreach/fishing/shad/shad.htm

4. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I had one of my best nights fishing ever on squid. About ten years ago, some friends of mine and I got some squid at meijers and were dousing it in hot sauce. It turned into a one pole night, because we were getting two on a pole at a time and what-not. What a night, I will never forget that. We must have caught every channel in that farm pond, we lost count of how many we caught.

Thanks for the info on Jungle Jims guys.

5. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    where is this Jungle Jims?

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Yes do tell I would like to know also

7. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's so secret we would have to kill you if we told you.

Do NOT read further, it could be dangerous!

OK, we warned you!

It's an "international market" , located a few miles north of 275 interstate on route 4 outside Cincinnati.

Google can fill you in on the details, just query Jungle Jims Cincinnati

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its like 5 minutes from bass-pro in fairfeild. if you go to bass pro you gotta stop by jungle jims! if you go on the weekends you can bloat yourself on all the free samples of meat, cheese, bread, crackers,.....damn, makin me hungry:D

9. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Oh you told about the free cheese samples, heads will have to roll now:p

Beware the cheese mafia:0a19:

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :blink: witnessed a near riot in there once involving a bunch of oriental women. some young dude wheeled out a barrel full of water, and what appeared to be trout or salmon heads! when everything cooled down there wasnt a head left in the barrel! must be some kind of ethnic delicacy. i really, REALLY miss the hot-sauce tasting stand! guess young kids kept getting into the "death" sauce so they done away with it. i know i had an experience with it i dont want to remember!

11. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    mmmmmmmmm

hot sauce tasting stand

12. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I had not been down to Jungle Jim's since they had remodeled it. The place seems to be a bigger version of the same. The samples were copious.

There were no shad at the fish counter BUT more are expected. The season is short lasting March and April only. I bought some mullet for $2.99 a pound. The monger recommended Boston Mackerel, also $2.99 a pound, for catfishing because it had the highest volume of oil. I bought some of that too. I'll let you know how it works.

Spencer

13. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    There is a bait store right next to the North marina at buckeye lake that sells frozen shad. Not huge, but up to 9''.

14. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Boston mackeral?......hmmmm!:D :0a31: gonna have to try that too!

15. BigBlueCatcher04

BigBlueCatcher04 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    early season i like to use a lot of trout guts...but when i run out of what i caught my buddy from lebanon brings me makeral bcuz its oily and smells just like trout...lol too bad i dont have a jungle jims down here its a bait haven lol.....the more you know......i plum wore the blues out on the mackeral btw so its good to use!

16. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I live five minutes from Lebanon. Welcome to the BoC, let me know it you ever want to go fishing.

17. Froggiestyle

Froggiestyle Guest

I know where I fish in the Ohio River, any tributary feeding off of it contains loads of shad. All you need is a castnet. I suck at throwing a net, and am still able to catch enough for the night. Most rivers that bay off from it in areas usually have some shad around. I stopped buying the frozen stuff, when a buddy of mine showed me a nice spot just off the river.

If it's free, it's all for me!!!

frOg