June bugs as catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Catmaster, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I was just wondering this last night (around 10 o'clock) while fishing. I was setting on my boat out on the Neosho right along an overhanging line of willows. I was throughing stink bait, live creek chubs, and worms and was not getting many bites (I actually only caught 2 channel along that whole half a mile) but it seemed like every 20-30 seconds I would hear a loud splashing catfish but could not figure out what they were eating. so I shined a light on the water and there were june bugs all over the water under those willow trees. That made me wonder if it would be a good bait. Has anyone ever tried using june bugs for catfish bait?

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ive never used them but if they were hitting on those jun bugs then thats what id be fishing with.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Matching the hatch for cats.

4. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I agree with James, it's worth a shot.

5. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    up at my uncles house he has three ponds. the catfish up there during the summer will eat anything on top of the water. bread, insects, even bobbers at some points. i really think it has to do with the timing. yes i think it would work great if in fact they were jumping and feeding on top water. i say go for it!(oh and his catfish are not fed on top of the water with pelits or dog food so that has nothing to do with why they are eating on top water)

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well June/May bugs are the adult form of the grubs I like to fish with. That hard skeleton may be hard to hook. I suggest thread or a tiny spot of super glue to attach the hooks. Seen a guy do this with grasshoppers. He really did well.

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I was in Louisiana this week-end to see my grand children. I had my B.O.C. shirt on and a man came up to me and ask if I like to catfish,well to make a long story short, he asked what I used as bait, I told him and he proceed to tell me about the cats he caught, when he clean them, doing as all smart fishermen do, he checked to see what they were feeding on. Full of June bugs!!

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have cleaned a few channels that have had their guts full of june bugs, I guess that I never put 2 and 2 together and used them for bait. Might try that next time....

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    june bugs aren't easy to hook... sounds like its time to pull out the fly rod and the june bug imitations and have at it... :)

10. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The tiny rubberbands that come with non-zipping freezer bags work fer these critters. By th way, ya can keep rubberbands in the freezer indefinetly.