Jumping/Splashing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jagdoctor1, Nov 25, 2007.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    A few months ago a buddy and me ran out of spots and ended up at a canal that is fairly large. I was fishing the downstream of a spot and he went upstream and found an area with exposed seaweed and rocks. He was fishing there and kept recasting at a jumping fish he was hearing eventually he figured out which way the fish was going and casted ahead. I wouldn't have beleived it but he caught about a 5 pd flathead. I hear things splashing and moving in the tules when I fish in the backwaters and things jumping in the river and I'm sure there not all but what are everyones opinions on whether these are likely flathead coming up for baitfish?

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have caught flathead around this splashing noise you're hearing...and from my experience it tends to be whitebass, wiper, or gar.

The gar will be feeding on schools baitfish in the creeks...and the cats will lay low on the bottom beneath them...perfectly content to snag up any injured baitfish the others miss.

Thats not to say that it couldn't be the catfish themselves getting rowdy...as it does sometimes happen...but most times in my experience it turns out to be something else doing the work...and the cats cleaning up an easy meal.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Not the same thing, but I've had channels and blues jump on the hookset, always in very shallow(1-2ft) water, and they will definately rise to a mayfly hatch.

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have caught one on a topwater lure before so I could see how this is possible.

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I've caught channel and blue cats on an Excalibur Super Spook in the lake, and the strip pits here. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and jigs as well.

All were in shallow weedy coves or points at daylight, or close to it.

6. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I could see that it could be flathead. But in my opinion, id have to say that its probably some sort of bait fish that the flats are chasing for there next meal. rspd507

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    it is not unusual to see Flatheads roll in both the river and the lake .

8. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    We don't have gar here in the colorado river but I suppose bass would be the same deal.However I figure the bluegill aren't hanging out in the deep or open water when flathead come along. They have to be hiding out between the tules in the shallows and if the flathead wants them he's gonna have to run up in there.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Never know for sure, of course, but I suspect that he heard some other fish jumping or splashing (gar? carp? bass?) and just happened to catch a flathead when he cast to the area.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ive seen flatheads roll but not jump,now blues and channels is another story.Ive almost had channels jump in my boat,from out of no where lol.

11. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Maybe it was the flathead chaseing carp, and they were jumping?:eek:oooh:

12. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I have seen BIG things jump, and thought is was carp at Lake Hefner, but the color wasn't the golden color, any thoughts as to what it is?