Jumping out of gear.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by stinkbaitjunkie, Apr 24, 2006.

1. stinkbaitjunkie

stinkbaitjunkie New Member

State:
    North Mississippi
    I have a early to mid 70's 25hp Evinrude outboard on my fishing boat. No steering wheel you just drive it with the handle on the motor. Until the past year it has sat. We got it running and it worked fine until this year. Now when you put it into gear it jumps out into neutral. The only way to be able to move is to keep it at a slow idle and hold the lever in forward with your hand. If you let go and especially when you try to go faster it jumps out. What could this be and how can it be fixed? Any info is greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get me a model number off of it and I will see what lower unit You have and see what we can come up with. It might need a little adjusting or it could be the forks in the lower unit. But even at that the parts ar still obtainable and you can fix it.

3. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    The model # is 25652e and the Serial # is e0002030. Thanks a lot.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now let me ask this. Have you had or have you put a water pump impeller in it lately. If this is the case then it most likely is out of adjustment.

I am including a link to a pix of the exact lower unit you should have.

If it can't be adjusted then you will have to tear down the lower gear case to fix the problem because it most likely will be the shifting fork.
    But don't do this until we do a little trouble shooting first.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/1976lowerunit.gif

5. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    I had the same thing happen to mine, took the cover off and part of the wiring harness was getting wedged between the linkage and the housing. Luckily thats all there was too it. lol

Joe

6. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    actually it did start happening after i installed the new impeller. What could need adjusting?

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Drop your lower unit and make sure that the rod is sitting all the way into the brass collor that holds it togeather. Sometimes you have to spread it just a little to get the ball end of the shifter up into the hole because the bolt goes under the little round end of the shift shaft. If you turned it any while it was out then you got it out of adjustment.

8. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    If its not out of adjustment the fork does not designed to keep it in gear. It controls a sliding hub to lock either the fwd or rev gear to the shaft. once engaged a very slight backcut, probably 2 degrees holds the hub in the gear. I have fixed two of these of my own over the years. The first I actually fixed by die grinding the hub and gear by hand slowly and carefully putting a slight backward slant on both the gear and hub due to extreme poverty at the time. The last was last year this time I took it to a machine shop. It is a fairly simple procedure to get the two mating surfaces machined in a milling machine. The only caution is too much backcut could make it difficult to disengage due to the drag induced by the prop.

9. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    to arkie55: I dont have enough posts to PM so I hope you find this. We did not have to heat treat after machining. Judging from the first time I did this by hand with a die grinder the angle is not super critical. The only reason I cautioned about too much angle is you are not declutching as in an automobile trans.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Why take a gear box apart and change the engineering design on it when the parts can be had at a less cost. This just does not make any sense to me.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    This is the first I've heard of anyone grinding on the mating surfaces of the clutch dog and gear hubs.

Congradulations on your success in doing this. What do you think the chances of just anyone grinding and succeeding are?

12. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    Bubbakat..
    I dont really know a thing about boat engines. I am going to work on the motor today, can you tell me exactly what to do and what to look for. Knowing me i'll be in the wrong place. Thanks alot. I have really appreciated all the help.

13. stinkbaitjunkie

State:
    North Mississippi
    What do you mean bobpaul?

14. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    Its not as hard as you think. Even eyeballing it you are basically removing the taper that causes it to jump out of gear. All standard shift trans have this taper to hold them in gear under power. Thats why it is almost impossible to pull one out of gear under power but it slips right out when the load is removed by declutching.