jumping catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by outdoors1988, Aug 27, 2009.

1. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Has anyone ever seen a catfish jump. I my self have never seen one but was just curious what everyone else has seen.

2. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    One time I had a channel cat, 5-6lb. clear the water vertically. Was in heat of the summer, fishing a lake. Absolutely amazed me and my boat partner. It didn't throw the hook like a bass, and didn't shake once it cleared the surface, just straight up like a porpoise.

3. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats crazy never heard of that

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just once, hooked into a big blue while fishing for flatties and he broke water and headed south, never to be seen or heard from again. I still think he laughed at me.:eek:oooh::embarassed: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've caught them fly fishing where they came flying out the water like a bass..

6. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I have caught a few channel cats that jumped, but not many.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    sure i see cats jump but you wont see the big ones do it they just kind roll on top of the water like a big ole fat whale.:big_smile:

8. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Last February my 11 year old son got a 38 pound blue cat in about 2 feet of water. Fight was on good and about 7 feet from the boat the fish came completely out of the water like a tarpon. Scared the bejeesus out of both of us. We have landed many, many blues over 30 pounds and when this fish came out of the water it looked like it weighed 80. I hope to see this again as it was an awesome sight.

9. beagle777

beagle777 New Member

State:
    Il
    I have caught a few channel cat that hit a topwater lure while I was bass fishing at night. As soon as they hit they were in the air and stayed on top till I got them in,3 to 7lbs.

10. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I caught a Catfish on a top-water Hula-Popper when fishing for bass once. :)

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Had a few cats breach good and wallow on the surface. But this is of interest my wife had a 50+ SPOONBILL clear 6 ft of air with her. Mine and her jaw dropped cause this fish done it in hard boilen current. Looked like a blue marlin catchen air. For some reason that day every spoonbill we hung breached or jumped it was sight to behold.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Fishing shallow water we have had a few blues come all the way out of the water while reelin them in. See them roll all the time. We do see spoonbills in late August that come completely out of the water, they do it every year but we don't have a clue why.