Jumping Catfish - Tell Me I Was Just Seeing Things

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by redneckdrum, May 26, 2006.

1. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    Last night before dark,I was bankfishing on the Kansas River when out of the cornor of my eye I seen what i thought was a beaver swimming across the river(my vision ain't all that good)when all-of-the-sudden,it jumped above the water about a foot,one of the biggest cat's I ever saw in my life.Of all my years of fishing I've NEVER seen a catfish swim at the waters surface like that.Tell me,did I just imagine this?

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i dont know. you could have seen a large bass or something else that likes the top of the water. also, here in iowa i see lots of cats swimming at the top for food that i throw in their to feed em but even when i dont i see em. the jump sounds phony but your fish act different than mine so i dont know what to tell you friend.

3. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    It's possible. When we had farm raised channel cats, when fed, they would swim along with they're backs out of the water and they're mouth open skimming the surface taking the food. As for the jump I don't know.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have personally seen catfish of about 20 pounds skimming along at the top of the water. And, they stayed at the top until they moved out of my range of vision - about 5 minutes.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Biggest catfish I ever saw.... Well... all I saw was the dorsal fin... at least 6" of it in 5 foot of water. I have seen a few cats jump, but only in one of the lakes here on base where the only food they can get is small bluegill and frogs (had a chemical spill about 11 years ago that killed everything but the cats).

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Without being there and witnessing it there not alot anyone can be certain about.

I could be a catfish, carp, gar. All will swim the surface at times for food, and all do jump occassionally. At a distance they could be mistaken.

Then you have other animals and if your not sure if it was a fish, you got beavers, otters, nutria, muskrats, raccoon, opossum, fox, or any of the species of ducks/birds that dive under the water, alligator too. Any of these animals could potential jump when startled.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    sure it wasn't a beaver... and the "jump" you claim to have seen was really its tail going up before slapping the water and the beaver diving down?

Its happened to me and everytime scares the SH*T out of me... Especially when im not paying attention...

8. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I have had a 5-7 lb cat jump completely out of the water and throw the hook. No bs! (Have witnesses!)

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've seen quite a few channels and bullheads jump in my day. And I've seen several swimming real close to the surface when they were feeding in shallower water around grass and weeds.

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    in the summer i fish for channel cats with my fly rod with a little mayfliy pattern on the surface. the cats so fat on mayflys you cant even get them to bite cut bait!

last year i saw a huge bass swimming near the surface chasing minnows for about 5 mins and all i had near me was a small fillet of gill so i took ogff my weight and tossed it by the bass and jiged it a few times not expecting much but then it hit it and i set the hook and my pole just stoped dead felt like i hooked into a rock. i knew it had to be a huge bass. after a 5 minute fight without seeing the fish i got to the boat looked down to see a 10lbs channel cat! surprised me but made alot of sense besides swiming on the surface

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    It May Have Been Just That I Have Saw Many Cats Jump And Feed Out Top Just Like Bass. Even My Biggest Blue 52lbs Came From About 3 To 4 Feet Of Water And There Was Lots Of Cats On Top That Night

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    My uncle swore he saw one jump once and we all thought he was full of it.
    Then I saw one jump many years later...

I quess I'm full of what ever he had.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I done seen, big cats on the top before. but only when its warm.

14. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Last summer I had a 14 1/2 lb Blue Cat come out of the water while fighting it...so yes they will come out of the water. I have also seen cats come out of the water while busting shad at the surface and what The Wolfman described.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Probably 18 or 20 years ago, I was fishing below the dam at Lake Atkins here in Arkansas where overflow pipe gushes out (not the spillway) and saw a cat of about 10# jumping between the pipe and the shore. One of its jumps landed it up on the shore. While I was looking to see if there was any way I could get over to it, it flopped back into the water.

16. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I've seen them on top of the water,and had cats jump when hooked.However I agree with Jess since it was already on top of the water it was prob a tail flip you saw.It's hard to jump out of the water if its already on top, being a big fish.I'd keep fishing there, maybe next time you'll see it at the end of your line:smile2: .

17. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Iv had them jump many times,If you hold your rod high when your fighting them in allmost everytime thy will bust the surface and come up all the way out of the water.It is neat to see them feed on the surface:eek:oooh:

18. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Haven't you ever heard the song?? Catfish are Jumpin... Paddlewheel thumpin... Something like that.:0a10:

19. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes it does happen and yes it does make you think you are seeing things cause its something that you would'nt expect. Keep fishing that spot using a bobber off the bottom if they are feeding top.

20. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Come to think of it, when I fished the tailraces below Lake Hudson on the Grand River in OK I used to see a lot of catfish jump along with the hybrids, whitebass, gar, carp and spoonbill.