Jump Starting

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by oh no, May 28, 2008.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone ever have this happen???

I tried jump starting my 91 Dodge diesel yesterday and the darnedest thing happened. My jumper cables are #2 welding lead with 850 amp clamps, I mean good, homemade non smoking ones. Well the two batteries in that old Dodge are about 8 years old, deader than door nails. They are completely shot. Well when I hit the old Dodges key, with my Ford F250 5.4 running and hooked up to it, It turned over a few times real slow and killed my Ford. I tried it again and the same thing happened. I have never seen an alternator pull down a motor, till it quit. Well I will have to get an 1100 amp battery for it and then it should start. That's what it came with in 91. I put 2 900 amp batteries in it years ago. I'm going to cut it to just one now.

Anyone have a similar experience jump starting a diesel pickup??? :eek:oooh:

2. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Wow. You must have a heckuva sound system in that dodge.:smile2:

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    It usually takes alot jump those dual battery diesels and usually a one battery system truck wont get it done, we have alot of trouble jumping them in the shop, so we try & use another dual battery truck or just sell the customer new batteries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!depends how old they are!!!