Jump starting

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Nov 14, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I saw this posted on another forum. :eek:oooh:

My advice to him:
    For your own safety, please continue was to use AAA.

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Dayton that would be excelent advice. But that still doesn't answer the question. I think it is + to -. lol

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    lol, i bet they were experts at using a cell phone to call AAA though.

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Connect one end of the Positive(+) cable to the Positive(+) post of the dead battery.
    Connect the other end of the Positive(+) cable to the Positive(+) post of the good battery.
    Connect one end of the Negative(-) cable to the Negative(-) post of the good battery.
    Connect the other end of the Negative(-) cable to a good solid SHINY, NON PAINTED metal part of the engine on the dead car.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Never put your finger where you wouldn't put your nose.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

That right there is what we in the Techie world call a Mo-Ron also known as an ID10T

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ol Man, I really don't think he could follow your instructions. :lol:

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I once had to replace a PCM (computer) in a dodge ram because one of these Mo Rons thought they knew how to jump start a vehicle. Sure was a expensive jump.

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i used to have a girlfriend that had to be jump started and....well this probably isn't the proper forum for that explanation:eek:oooh:

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    just for your own good , ford lincoln mercury products.......
    dont jump another vehicle with your cables attached to your battery
    disconnect your cables and just let the battery jump start the other .
    ive replaced solinoids and other electrical components after useing my ford truck as a jumper for someones dead vehicle.

i think the correct method to jump is attach one end of jumper cables to the running engines battery and on the open end of jumper cables have stranded motorist attach the positive clamp to one of his test tickle and the the negative clamp to his tounge and rev motor:big_smile:

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

UH which way does it go George which way does it go?:waaaht: :go: :waaaht: :go:

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

How did I get drug into this. LOL!

Phil. I had one that was kick start. LOL!

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Guys I even know how to jumpstart or kickstart a car BUT, NEVER do that with a hybrid. It could and probably would kill you. As I own one, I had to try and convince a wrecker gentleman once that he couldn't do it. He wouldn't listen to me, so I called the dealer and my mechanic, Robbie, up and had him tell him that whatever he did, he was NOT to try and jumpstart my car.

Even the EMT's, should I be in an accident, I hope they know not to touch the car, especially with a jaws of life, if I survive or not. I continually find that a lot of people are not educated to a hybrid's electrical capacity. (even EMT's)

Take care.
    Cheryl

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Figures you would have a Hybrid. Ya dang hippie! LOL!

14. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Yep BG, bought one off the show room floor the first year they were available in 02. Now I'm waiting on the hydrogen ones. LMAO. but true.

I'm an old hippie and I don't know what to do.................you know the rest of the song. LOL. (I think you are one incognito......don't be ashamed, it's nothing to be ashamed of, to be an old hippie...........LOL)

You take care and hug that wife of yours.
    Cheryl

15. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Isn't a hybrid in TN one that runs on moonshine?
    :smile2:

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, yes those are around too. But I think the price of moonshine unless you are making it yourself is more than gas these days, so I'll keep mine.

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    On the car receiving the jump I dont think connect the negative to the negative battery terminal. I believe you should connect the negative lead to the chassis or a componet on the same ground path to the chassis for the sake of not frying a computeror one of the many sensors on today's engines.:smile2:

18. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mark you are right on the Chassis. :wink: had to wink aint got a check mark or gold star to give ya. I will put your name on my refrigerator door. LMAO:tounge_out:
    Hope you can take a joke. :big_smile:

For the rest, LMAO.:tounge_out:

Cheryl, you need a muscle car to loosen up a little. :tounge_out: :roll_eyes: :big_smile:

When all else fails, let r roll down hill and , POP the clutch.
    Get ready cause tires be smokeing when she fires up. . :big_smile:

AAA.

19. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Well I think Cheryl is on the mark for the future. I'm looking forward to Hybrid NASCAR. Think of all the money they will save on tires. "Gentleman start yer engines" & you don't hear anything......Go Junior!, Go Junior!
    :cool2:

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I believe on most new cars there is actually a terminal to hook the cable (+) up to.This prevents frying the computer.Usually it is under a little red cover at least it is on my Chev Truck.It would be good advice to read the owners manual instructions for jump starting so you don't damage expensive components.Thanks Cheryl for the hybrid warning as I wouldn't have ever thought about it.Hybrid jumping is one of our favorite local sports down here so now I guess I'll have to quit that because its hazardous.:eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: :smile2: :big_smile: :lol: