July Works For Me

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 40 Pound Club, Jul 3, 2006.

1. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    For everybody in doubt of July flathead fishing I have a pick me up. 3 years ago on the sunday after the fourth I caught my first big flathead, a 40 pounder. The very next year, also on the sunday after the fourth, my dad caught his first big flathead, a 44 pounder. We live in Illinois so things might be a little different up here, but July is our month for targeting the big boys. On the negative side we went out on the first of this month and spent the entire night on the river. All three of us went home skunked!! Couldn't even catch a channel. When we went to leave at 4:30 in the morning the battery died and we had to paddle a 21 foot pontoon boat back to the boat launch. As miserable a night as that was, I couldn't see myself doing any other thing. And bet your @$$ we'll be back out there on the Sunday after the fourth.

2. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I love july for flatties, alot of big ones are caught. I fish for flatties in july and blues in november. plus another nice benefit is being able to sit outside in shorts and sandles and be comfortable!

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Those are very nice fish brother, hope this July produces just as well for ya.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Good luck this sunday!

-Red

5. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well tomorrow is your day. I hope it works out for you and your dad!, Good Luck..Abu65

6. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Funny you should mention the month of July and your success rate after the 4th etc. Since, right before I read your post, I was thinking of a conversation I had with an old friend, over 20 years ago. And, he was telling me about how good the cattin was in a nearby lake, during the month of July and just using shrimp for bait.

Hmmmmmm, think I will drive the 30 miles or so, to that lake and try fishing the area he was talking about (using shrimp of course), in the next couple of weeks.

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    So how did you do last Sun?