july james river catfishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Mr Madness, May 31, 2009.

1. Mr Madness

Mr Madness New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i will be in williamsburg from july 19 to july 26 and would like to fish the james where would you guys send me and the bate of choise for for that time of year for cats any help would be nice

2. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    One good place would be along the colonial parkway at Mill creek,,, the most effective bait would be gizzard shad or stink bait

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welcome to the BOC, Gary! :0a25:

Look around this forum, and don't forget to search back through the archives a short way. You will find a wealth of information already posted that will answer your every question. The good fishing reports aren't a bad place to start!

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Sage advice! Welcome to the BOC!

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    :wink: Come to Chester and fish Dutch gap, Im new to the area but the bait that has worked for me has been fresh or frozen cut bait, bluegills, jumbo minnows, Eel chunks and live Eels

6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Welome to the BOC, Ramon and Mike! It's great that you jump on board with some great advice right from the start... :0a25:

7. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    :smile2: Thank you sir, my pleasure. anytime I can help a fellow member with anything I learn im on it.

8. catfishjoey

catfishjoey New Member

State:
    VA/OK
    Flathead fishing will be at its best in july... You may have to make the 45 min to 1 hr drive to Richmond to fish at pony pasture (google it). I've been out three times this week and everyday ive caught flatheads ranging from about 6 lbs (smallest) to 20 lbs.... Use heavier tackle: I use 40 lb test with an 80 lb leader, a 6/0 hook, and a 5 oz egg sinker. set it up into a fishfinder rig... fishing is best during the hottest part of the day with the brightest sunlight (flatheads are peculiar catfish)... I use live bream, but if you dont have a pond nearby to catch them in just buy some jumbo minnows or goldfish... fish areas with moderate current! you don't have to fish deep, ive caught big ones in 2 feet of water... HOLD ON, these are strong fish...

9. littlepony

littlepony New Member

State:
    virginia
    Jordan Point is a great place to put in and fish if you have a boat. I fish from the mouth of the Appomattox to the power line. Cut shad and eel.

10. flattop67

flattop67 New Member

State:
    New Kent County, VA
    Glad to see you coming to the area. If you have a boat, ask how to get to Jamestown Marina, off of Jamestown road just prior to the ferry. Ramp fee was 5.00 for the day and they do rent slips by the week. If you put in there, make a right out of the Marina and follow the channel until you can go under the Island road, you will see what I am talking about. Be careful to stay between the buoys as it gets shallow quickly. If you come in/out at low tide you will see what I mean where the birds are standing. After coming under the road, you are in the James River, turn right and about 5 miles you are at the Chickahominy River on your right from there up for the next 20+ miles, to Jordan Point, you are in Catfish heaven. Cut Gizzard Shad, Live or cut Eels, night crawlers, Blue Gill or Stink Baits if none of the others are available will work. Outgoing tide is my preference, but fishing anytime beats working all the time.

If you do not have a boat, local guides are available but I could not recommend any as I have never used one. That said, I do see some of the same boats in the same areas with different "clients" on board pulling in the big ones.

Also a pier is available on Route 5 West out of Williamsburg towards Charles City at the Chickahominy Bridge on the right. Sorry, I do not know rates, if any, only know that when I go by there are always people fishing there. A boat ramp is also there at the back of the property on Gordan's Creek which is a few hundred yards off the Chick.

You are probably tired of reading as are some others on here, but I wish you luck and remember there are lots of great things to do in the Williamsburg area if family is with you or the fishing turns sour.

11. Mr Madness

Mr Madness New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i had a great time on the james.sorry it took so long to give a report but i put in at the camp ground on highway 5 at the bridge and went up river and fished my way down river and i got 4 blues from 12 to 18 lb and lost 1 nice fish.i caught 2 gar 1 about 6 lb.i took some shad i had froze with me and some brem i caught all fish where caught on shad.i went back down river that night about 2am and draped the ancher in the 60 ft hole and had a huge fish slam into the front of my boat witch was only a 16ft jon boat damn near knocked me out of the boat i do not know what it was but it had to be 100lb or bigger if it had not splashed i would say it was a log but it was a fish of some kind i think it may have been a sturgaun but i do not know.but 1 thing is for sure it was a very LARGE fish.i did not catch the big 1 on this trip but i will be back in a mounth or so and try again when it cools down.i did catch a flounder on cut bait to that was pretty cool to do that on a cat rig it was about 13" put him back for next time:big_smile:

12. Steve Knox

Steve Knox Active Member

State:
    Richmond, Virginia
    Gary -
    Congrats on what sounds like a fun trip. Let me know if you want company when you come again.