July Flathead Catfish in the Diversion Canal

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flathead22, Apr 15, 2006.

1. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Hey, guys, if you have heard me you know I am a veteran when it comes to fishing the Santee-Cooper areas. I have been down there fishing in late July, August, October, late December, early January, March, April, and May. However, I have not fished in the middle of July, I will be down there July 13-15 this year to fish the Diversion Canal. My favorite month is August, I have caught huge fish during this time:). The fishing has always been hot during this time, and by hot I mean catching big blues and flatheads. I like to target flatheads and I wanted to know if the fishing in the middle of July is as hot as it is in August. Is the potential for big flatheads as great as August? My favorite bait is white perch, nothing for me has proven better at catching big cats than white perch. Is it still pretty easy to catch bait at the lock on Moultrie this time of year?? And when I say that, compare to the winter time!! I have caught several dozens of big shad and herring each night with no problem at the dam during the winter! Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Kyle

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Kyle,
    I don't know about July fishing but I was wanting to ask a question. I am going there Memorial Day weekend. Where is a good place to catch white perch for bait? In the daytime it would seem like the panfish would be deep because of heat, but at night would it be easier? I have had more success with white perch for big fish than with herring, but I just think it would be cheaper to catch bait rather than pay for it. Thanks.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    NC I have caught a bazillion white perch right out in the canal in front of Harrys.Or go up the channel to any of the islands and start in water 10/12 ft deep and work your way out.ITS hard not to catch them on little pieces of night crawler on a number 6 or 8 hook.Tie a 1/4 oz sinker on the bottom with a 2 hook dropper rig above and go straight to the bottom.Lift your rig up and let it drop back.This is one place braid is way better than mono for feeling them nibble.I use 10 lb power pro.:) By the way if you fish in the canal be prepared as I have caught channels and blues on that little ultra light rig up to 14 lbs not to mention huge shellcrakers etc.:) :cool:

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jim,
    In the canal do you look for underwater structure that hold these fish or just throw a hook out? It may sound a little like I've never been fishing, but Santee is so big I don't want to waste alot of time catching bait. Thanks for all your help!

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    No problem,I dont look for structure so much as depth.In front of Harrys is a channel marker with an Osprey nest on top.The channel drops off right there into the canal and I've caught many right there.If the canal is running hard go to the other side where you see those little openings in the shore and cast into those openings as the perch will go in there to seek relief from the heavy current.Go up to marker 38 and there is an island right there with a sandbar that comes out to the channel which you can see. position yourself so you can almost reach the sandbar with a cast and slowly reel in on the bottom.I have had the best luck late in the evening and the perch do bite at night even though one of the most famous Santee guides SWEARS they dont bite at night.LOL:rolleyes: ;) :cool:PS virtually any sandy bottom will hold these perch and gills etc.once you get set up and catch a few it seems to draw a crowd of them and the action is fast and furious.More than likely I'll be there on MMD where are you staying.

6. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    We had no problem catching white perch over the weekend...mostly 15-25 ft in the canal. Used sabiki rigs for the first time. You can get them at cabelas or BPS. Most have six hooks.....and many times you can catch 2-3 at a time. When one gets hooked, seems to draw the others in.

7. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina

NCCatter,

if you launch out of hill's or canal lakes, hang a left out of the landing (going towards marion) then you will see an opening on the left side of the canal past the little white house. there is an old paddleboat there on the left as you come in the opening. go past the paddleboat and fish the bank under the trees and lillies...hope you can catch the perch there! White perch is the best bait that I have used for big catfish...esp big flatties!

8. Riverdog

Riverdog New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    ToonCat, do the sabiki rigs come in different sizes and colors, what was working for you?