July 7

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by bwanatony, Jun 20, 2006.

1. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hey Brothers,
    We are cooking up another flathead hunt for Friday, July 7, near downtown Grand Rapids.
    Easy to find, easy to launch, easy to fish.
    PM me for details if interested. My boat is maxed out, though, so you will need yours.
    Best,
    Tony

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Hey there Tony,

Don just got me on the Nextel a few minutes ago to mention that night.

The 6th is the day for the radiation treatment for my ma. If the doc says for all of us to stay away from her, then Ill surely pop out there for a night of fishing with Hear Kitty cause Im gonna need something to do. If the doc says however that she can have family near her, I surely want to be there to make sure that she is eating, and that she doesnt have anything to do, like cut her lawn or pull weeds. Its likely after that sort of stuff that she wont have much energy... so every bit I do for her helps, and seeing stuff done doesnt make her itch to go out and try to do it herself when she oughtta be in bed building inner strength for a big ole battle.

Ill update as the time gets nearer.

By golly I need to get my flatty quota for the year. Help me, oh Grand River Wizard! LOL

Sal

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Sal-

Whatever you & yours decide is most appropriate at the time, is what you should do.
    The door, as they say, is always open.
    Shucks, the doc may tell you all to leave her alone and let her sleep. If not, there's always another trip.
    Besides, my "Wizard" status is strictly day-to-day. I get skunked just as often as the next guy- so I have to fish more often to make up for it!
    The more I fish, however, the luckier I get...

4. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    sal Jr, Dont Know You Brother But I Send You The Best From My Whole Family. I Also Have A Mother Going Through Radiation And Can Relate To What You Mean. Man I Wish I Could Get In On This Fishing Outing W/ You Guys But Im Stuck Being A Shore Fisherman Not Having A Boat And All. Good Luck Everyone And Best Wishes To Your Mom Sal......rick

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Guys, you're really helping out by just allowing me a place to vent the steam of the stress. I cant thank you enough!!!!

Geez it is difficult communicating on the BOC when all I have to work with is a family 150 miles away and a whole day to sit and dwell on the many reasons I dont want to be at work, but up there. Thank Goodness for you dudes... you're screwing the sanity back into my battle-twisted head.

OK...
    I talked to the wife last night about the trip. She said "...that the July 6th appointment is merely a consultation for the radiation treatment... so there is no reason to waste a good night fishing on just a consultation."

God Bless her. lol. I think Im gonna renew my vows for just that value of understanding. My girl knows that I wear that ring and that it is all the more secure on my hand when its wrapped around a cork-butt and tickling the underside of a baitcaster. ROTFL

So I am ON for the trip.

She also said that mom was eating pancakes yesterday and went out and dropped a line in her backyard pond like I told her to (last week I bought her a catfishing rig and a box fulla sinkers and circle hooks for her recovery). I think things are looking a lot less grim. A lot less stressful, and the road to recovery is on a smooth run right now.

So who wants to go FEEEESHIN!?!?

Hey- I have a question: Is there a place for a bonfire/shore lunch afterwards? Can I bring the brats and the cook stand or what?

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    The more I think about it, the more I think perhaps we should hit at or near the spot we hit last time.
    With all the rain in the forecast, the water should be up some, and we can "convoy" from the ramp to the destination to follow the river channel .
    My oversize motor draws as much water as anybody's- so if I can get there, so can you.
    If the bugs aren't too bad, we can climb ashore & cook food, unlike downtown.
    So far I think JRoss, Sal Jr, hear_kitty, and myself are in- anyone else?

On a side note, tonight I'm building a baitwell: It's two plastic trash cans, one inside the other, big enough to fit my wire fish basket inside. Canned foam insulation to fill the void between the two containers, and a plywood top lined with Dow insul board. I'll attach a battery powered aerator to the outside, & drill a hole for the tubing. Ahhhh... LIVE live bait.

7. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    Tony: that night you spent fishing the deep hole, the water must have been pretty high. yesterday, i was using one rod with a 1 oz sinker and it never moved in the current. And i wasen't fishing directly down stream. i was fishing at about a 45 degree angle to the current. there was very little debris floating down the river. but like you said, you know that stretch of river, and i never saw it before yesterday. excitement must yield to knowledge and experience, if not, some bad S%#@ can happen.

One last thing......if there is an empty seat in a boat, for the trip, i volenteer to fill it, if any of you can live with the fact that i , too, may suffer the same curse as Vic. Well, i guess thats not quite true. at least he catches dogfish, i havent caught squat.

8. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Keep the faith brother!!! Theres a Flathead in the Grand with your name on it. I've got a clonk I'll sell ya!!!:lol:

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    OK,
    This is the official 7/7 Outing discussion thread, does that sound lucky, or what?
    Its raining pretty good here in Grand Rapids right now (1PM 6/22) and there's more in the forecast, had some yesterday too.
    Big, BIG storms passed by south of GR yesterday, dumping on the whole Grand River basin, so all that water is headed this way eventually.
    River should be rising, and since it almost always rains on July 4th, things are shaping up pretty good.
    Sorry, I don't have anyplace for folks to stay the night, but there's a campground 1/4 mile from the ramp.
    Gotta run...

10. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Jon, don't use my name in vain man! ROTFLOL!!! I catch fish all the time! I'm just too shy to post all the pictures.:0a10: :0a10: :0a10: I caught a walleye the other night fishing for catfish. Maybe I should rig for walleye, and then I will catch some catfish! I am scheming right now to come out of my funk in a major way. LOL. I don't know if I will make it on the trip with you guys on the 7th, but I'm optimistic that there is a big one out there with my name on it!:big_smile_2:

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI

Aww man.... I wish I could drop my dip bait in that paragraph cause it is RIPE! I'd be pulling em in for sure.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROTFL

12. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Do i under stand that Mr brown is laying on some stink bait man if we could only bottle that and sell it:happy: :happy: :happy:

13. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Hey,
    Rain in the forecast for next Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, & Saturday. That should raise the river a few inches.
    Of course, I've met a few of you guys, and with 4 in one boat... well, let's just hope for several inches...
    Then again, if this turns into an all-nighter, are you sure you wouldn't want two boats?

I'm taking my son out tonight or tomorrow night, and going solo July 3, I'll post reports if I do well, and tell whoppers if I don't!

Tony
    (PS: over in the Flathead Discussion, there's a thread about fishing with 2#, 16" suckers & drum, now that's BIG bait!)

14. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Tony,

If we tie helium filled weather baloons to Don and Sparky it ought to help in the shallow spots. Id do it too but I gotta drive.

ROTFL

15. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay is someone around here insinuewating that me and sparky are a little on the heavy side:waaaht:

16. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I didnt say anything too specific. I cant speak anyway- my mouth is fulla tater chips.:lol:

17. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    After talking with Don, I think we are going to bring his boat along. 8 poles out of one boat, is a bit much. Besides, that way we all have a little more lee way on when we come and go.
    Sparky

18. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Any way that works for you fellas is fine by me. So long as you're out there thats all that matters!

Sal

19. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Well, all together, um...

20. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hey tony when that new state record pulls you out of the boat don't come wining to me and sparky! lol