July 28th, 2008 Fishing Report

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by rspd507, Jul 28, 2008.

1. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    My 12 year old son Demetrie, and I hit the Ohio River this afternoon for a bit of fishing. A day that started off bad sure ended on a good note. We started to drift in about 40 feet of water with the wind causing us to drift up river. After a short distance I managed to land a small channel. We then moved down river around a bend to get out of the wind. This spot is located in an outside bend that starts in the 40's and gradually drops to about 65 feet. Not long after starting our pass we landed a couple nice channels cats. Things slowed for a bit, then I had a rod go down hard landed the catch of the day, a 24 Pound flatty. Not long after, Demetrie had a rod slam with another nice flatty weighing in at 16 Pounds. We pulled up, went back for another pass and a short time later, Demetrie hooked an absolute monster fish that unfortuneately we never got to see. After the hookset, the fish swam under the boat spinning us around twice before heading upriver. This hog then swam toward the main channel pulling us, the boat and all upriver for a short distance. Demetrie began to gain on him some starting to get him off bottom from 60 plus feet deep when he threw the hook. We repositioned and made another pass with me landing a blue about 7 pounds. We then decided to call it a day with a total of 6 fish caught and a total weight over 65 Pounds. A very good day on the water. See some pictures below of todays catch. rspd507

Attached Files:

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    A few more pictures of our catch today. rspd507

Attached Files:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    that sounds like a great day on the water. congrats

4. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Nothing like quality time with your kids. You are building memories and our nest generation of outdoorsmen. My hat is off to you sir! Also I might be a little old, but, are you looking to adopt? :smile2:

Richard

5. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Sorry Richard,
    I have all the rug rats that im going to have,,lol But, you are welcome to come and fish anytime. Talk to you later, rspd507

6. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Man you really know how to find the big ones! I keep hoping to find fish like this but so far 4 to 9 pounders, no complaints but I sure would like to hook onto a really big one. Congrats.
    Can I ask what you were using for bait? Lately we have been catching channels on chicken liver with no bites using small bluegills, perch or cut bait. I am not fishing where the river is as deep as you described the deepest holes and runs are only about 25 feet deep. This is a reservoir not the main river with just a little current. We are fishing about two miles from the dam. There are six or eight of us fishing at one time or another and to date no one has caught a really big fish. We figure there must be some 20lb plus fish in the river but we can't seem to find them. Any help would be appreciated. All of us are new to catfishing but have been fishing all our lives. I live in Northern Michigan and until I caught a few and ate a few I thought they were garbage fish, I WAS WRONG. Most people here think the only fish worth fishing for are Salmon, Steelhead, trout, walleyes or panfish. We are trying to change some thinking by introducing catfish at the dinner table. That works. We appreciate the posts from other areas as it helps us be better cat fishermen.
    eyeguy
    eyeguy

7. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Im here in california, fresno went to eastman lake for an all nighter and it started off first 30 minutes with my friends first fish of his life a nice 4.5# catfish then it slowed moved to our third spot and took my first fish of the night a 5.8# flatty and then 3 other smaller 2-4# which is a PB for me but I want some hogs still hunting for them though....:smile2:

8. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
  9. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Mike,
    I was using shad that were about 4 to 6 inches long. Id hook some live through the eyes and others I would cut the tails off, split the back open to get the blood scent out and then weave them on a 10/0 king kahle hook, letting the baits lightly drag along the bottom. Then I would take one live and hook it through the eyes. I was also drift fishing at a very slow speed. The Ohio River above markland dam is at or below pool making conditions perfect for this method. Catching flatties drifting is unusual for me, usually get blues and channels. I think as long as the drift is extremely slow you will get more flats than at normal drift speeds. I would fish the deepest water in your area this time of year due to water temps being so high. The bigger ones seem to be in the darkest, deepest parts of the water column. They are alot like us, they hunt for a cooler place to hang around during the heat of the day. rspd507

10. eyeguy

eyeguy New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks for the info, I don't think we have shad here but we do have other types of fish and minnows. I will try this method and let you know how it goes. again thank you.
    Mike

11. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice report, sounds like you guys had a great time.

12. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the cat's and thanks for posting some pics!

13. JUMPER

JUMPER New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Looking good Ross thanks for sharing

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats Ross on the great night of fishing shared with your son! :cool2: Very nice pics! :big_smile: