July 11th fishing report, with new PB!!!

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by RIVER-RAT, Jul 12, 2008.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well I told you guys there was a good chance of me being on the river on Friday night....well I almost didn't make it.

As I'm sure you know, there were quite the thunderstorms rolling through the St Louis area last night with heavy downpours. When it quit here in St Chuck, my buddy Chris, aka lil'river-rat, and I headed to the river. Chris hasn't been out with me at all this year as he and his beautiful wife had an addition to the family earlier this year and he had been a very good daddy and has stayed home on all his days off to help out. Well his better half and the youngens headed to her mothers house for a few weeks and he was finally ready to go.

We got to Columbia Bottoms around 800pm but as we were about to drop the boat in the water, another string of heavy rain with lightning showed up, we decided to wait it out and around 900pm we finally launched.

I headed to a few spots where I was hoping to catch a bunch of bait, but that just wasn't the case. Bait was a bit difficult to find but after 2-2.5 hours of throwing the net I managed to find a few small shad, a couple asians and three big skipeyes. I was finally tired of throwing that damn net and told chris that we just try our luck with what we had. I warned him that the bite was probably going to be very slow, considering the river had been on a steady fall for better than a week and there was a wind coming up out of the south. Given that, we still had high hopes but braced for the worst.

I anchored in our first hole shortly after 11ish or so, and after about ten minutes my pole got slammed. Reeled in a fish that was in the mid-teens. I was relieved to have that darn black and white critter out of the boat early in the night! Whew! Rebaited that pole and threw it back out there in the same spot. 10 minutes later, slam! I grabbed the pole and could tell that it was a much better fish.

As I was fighting the fish, one of the other rods in the rod holder just got burried! I started yelling at Chris, fish on! fish on! So here we are, we've got a double!!! I was able to get mine in and netted by myself, he went very close to twenty pounds. Chris was still fighting that fish and was having a time trying to gain ground on him. I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical on how big the fish really was until Chris got it up to the boat and the beauty rolled, that's when I got excited!! It WAS a pig!!! I got the net in under the fish and Chris gently guided the fish inside the net. High fives were now going about the boat with many Woo Hoos!!! Weighed the fish and it weighed in at 43 pounds and some change!!!!! Beat Chris's old PB by 20 pounds!!!!

We ended up catching 6 total fish in about a three hours span. The only problem that we ran into was that we ran OUT of skipeyes. Those darn fish wouldn't touch the shad or the asians! So about a quarter to four, Chris, who was about to fall asleep due to the brutal battle with the PIG, decided he wanted to call it a night. If I would have had more skipeyes in the boat, I would've had to veto Chris's thought and would've stayed out all night!!!

Several of the fish were caught in deep water while the others were caught on a sand bar in about 7-12 feet of water. It was a great night and it felt really great to be back on the Mississippi river!!!! I can't wait to get back out there!

A picture of Chris's new PB!!!

[​IMG]

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    WTG Bill and Congrats to Chris on a new PB!!!

3. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Way to go Bill. :worship::worship::worship:Im glad ya finally got to get back on the water.

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    nice job! congrats on the new PB

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Sounds like you had a good night. Congrats on the new PB.

Tom

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Way to go guys congrats on the PB. Man I cant wait to get out there

7. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    What A Night Bill And Congrats Chris On Your New PB Blue Cat:big_smile:

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    congrats to both of you. New pb is always an exciting trip. Just one thing Bill, I am sure it was an oversight with the excitement and alll, but you didnt shine the light on the bank so we could tell where you were when you caught it.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Two big Congrads coming.#1 on getting stinky off your back and outta the boat. #2 On Chris's new PB. Now you 2 get out there and catch a bigger one.

10. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    LMAO!!! I knew somebody would notice!!! Thanks for not letting me down Bob!!! :smile2: We were closer to the Missouri bank than the Illinois bank, I do know that!!! :smile2:

I think it was near that ol cottonwood tree, you know the one :wink:

11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Man I love them blue's.

Congrats on the pig...she's a beauty !!

-Jim-

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats fellows, i'm glad to see the river is open again and some fish are being caught.

13. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    congrats on a nice night. maybe you should have brought the guy a sleeping bag and fished on

14. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congarts to ya'll both and to Chris for his PB. Are the asian carp, any good for bait?

15. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Way to go,guys.Nice fish,thanks for the update.I'll be out next week.Hope I get half as lucky.

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a great fishing trip, congrats on the good fish

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Way to go Bill, nice job getting lil rat his pb. Congrats on a great night out on the water!

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Now thats what its all about. Nice job guys and congrats to 'lil rat' on a new personal best. Nicely done.

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats to Chris on the new PB !!!

20. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Way to go!! That's a nice fish! Sounds like a great evening on the water. I CAN NOT wait to get back out on the river. I think my fever has just raised a few degrees. :tounge_out: