Jugs where do you place your sinkers at?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by waterwalker, Mar 28, 2006.

1. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Where do you jug fisherman place your sinkers? I suppose everyone has
    their own preference, so tell me what you think. Around here the jugs have to be free floating, Thinking about putting the sinker at the three
    foot level and then adding the bait drop from there. My drops are 12 to 14 inches with no weight. Think this is OK or if not point this guy in the right
    direction.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Paul, I try and keep my weight at least 1 foot below the last hook. Seems to help the hook up ratio

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I always put my weight at the bottom of the line. I use a 16p or 20p nail for a weight because it's cheap, and it doesn't hang up as easily as a regular sinker. If you've got a really long jugline, you might need a little larger nail for added weight. For the waters I usually jug, I have one hook 12"-18" above the nail; a second hook 3' above that; and a third hook 3' above that; then the jug is tied on 6' above that. I like my jugs to be able to freefloat without hanging up too often, but IMO, if they aren't hanging up occasionally, you're fishing too shallow. Now, I'm not saying that I catch most of my fish on the bottom hook; sometimes I catch most on the top hook. But then, sometimes I do catch most on the bottom hook. Safety Note: The spacing of my hooks allows me to hold the line just ABOVE the top hook and lift it high enough to net a fish on the bottom hook. If you have more spacing than this, your upper hooks should be attached with a trotline clip so you can remove them as you pull in the line. Otherwise, a sudden run by a big fish can pull hooks into your hand.

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    My jugs have droppers that are up to 5 feet long. I use a large flat washer as a weight and it is about 8-12 inches above the hook. Most of my jugs have about 3 foot droppers. I think your idea will work just fine.

5. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    im like tdog i put my weights on the bottem,seems like i catch more fish. have a day.

6. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Ok, the only way I've gone juggin' was to use masonary bricks or window wieghts out of old houses. I use my superb knowledge of the bottom structure (fish finder) to find where I want to fish. I then I take the full roll of cord and tie a heavy weight on it and drop it over board till it hits bottom, I then take about 5 extra feet and cut and tie to a bleach bottle. I already got my leaders ready rigged with a trotline clip and swivel and J hook. I pull it back up and put three hooks on it spaced according to fish patterns.

The large weight on bottom keeps my jugs in a central area, (I like to be able to see all of them in an area from a single jug), so I don't have hunt and chase 'em down. The added weight also helps tire out Mr. Whiskers. I've always referred to this as freefloating jugs but I guess its really anchored down the way I do it... Anyone else all the way to bottom.

I always carry already made jugs too, once setting one I'll also mark it's length on the bottle so I can just grab & throw...

Lucas

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wolfman, I'll agree that with a short jugline, you can often get away with using no weight, especially when jugging in calm water. But with a 12' jugline in the current of the Arkansas River, if I didn't use a weight, the jugline would seldom be hanging down, but instead be swept sideways, upstream, or down, by the strong currents.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    AwShucks, I had to read every post in this thread to see if Juggers was anything like Hooters. Dag Nab it.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Had to bite my fingers to keep from posting a reply to that. :rolleyes:

10. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I can't quit laughing long enough to answer on this one. :happy:

Seriously now, I put a weight on the end of mine and lower it to the bottom to anchor jug.

11. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

I think you'll be OK with the hook(s) above or below the weight. I prefer one hook and have never used the weight below the hook. That's not to say that it doesn't work. Only that I haven't tried it. Try a handful both ways or many different ways and see what works best. Just remember, what works one day may be totally different under different circumstances. The most important thing is that you have bait in the water and you are fishin! Best of luck to you Brother!

12. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thank for the suggestions on hooters...I mean jugs...LOL...

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    It's important to remember that you want to grasp the jug gently, and if it jerks away from you, just let it go, rather than trying to grab it tight. Then you can work up to taking hold of it again.
    Otherwise, you might lose your catfish.

14. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Q: You guys that use the true "freefloating jugs", how do you keep track of them?

I've had large cats swim off with 10# window weights that were on bottom and be 200 yrds from the other jugs I set together. I run mine day and night for several days when fishing this technique and would think I'd spend all my time looking for hooters. I mean jugs.
    Lucas

15. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    The only ones I have weights on at all are the ones that I have found Abandoned. As far as keeping track of them I usually float along with them down stream. If I want to anchor down I throw my jugs out upstream and wait for them to go by.

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Keeping track of freefloating jugs can be a problem, especially when you fish your jugs in a current, like I usually do. My jugs will get spread out for half a mile or more up and down the river, and be anywhere between one bank and the other, which may easily be half a mile across. It takes a lot of running with the boat, and a pair of 10 power binoculars. Also, the larger the jugs, the more noticeable they are :p . I mean you can see them from farther away. That's why swimming pool noodles don't work for me; it's just too hard to see them from over 100 yards away, and that's being right on top of them for me.
    For a real 'Easter egg hunt', set your jugs out in the current of a river at dusk, then go looking for them the next morning. If you've done a good bit of daytime jugging on that section, you can pretty well estimate just how far it's possible for jugs to have floated down the river, so you know how far downstream you have to check. I've found that I don't lose any more jugs at night than I do during the day. Where I jug, it's not unusual for a barge to collect several jugs that happen to be floating in the channel. That's one of the reasons I need to keep the cost of my jugs to a minimum.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn, this thread is no way as interesting as it was before they changed its name.

18. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Well, we use those noodle things that kids play with in swimming pools and cut them into 15 inch or so lengths. We put reflective tape on to see them at night. We put about 30 ft of nylon line on them, heavy split shot 12 inches above the hook. We roll up line to tie them off at different depts(we usually set out about 30-40 jugs. When we find out which depth we catch em at, we change all the jugs to that depth.( This is lake fishing).

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What lake do you usually jug on? I've only tried jugging on a lake a few times, and didn't have nearly as much luck as jugging the current of the Arkansas River.

20. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    When yall put your jugs out do they drag on the bottom. And if they do how much slack is in the line. Lets say the river is 20 ft deep, are your jugs right at 20 ft, little longer, or little shorter?